Search results

1. humblej

Sound Board Tap Test

I have read old posts and looked at videos online, but I still do not know what to do and/or what to listen for, while doing a sound board tap test.
  2. humblej

Second Soprano Build

My first soprano ukulele build did not give me the sound I had wanted and I didn't really care for my choice of wood as well as a few design details of the plans, so removed the tuners and usable hardware and threw the rest of it away. I started over from scratch and with added experience and...
  3. humblej

New Soprano Sounds Too Bright and Snappy

I dont know if "bright and snappy" is a common term, but my new ukulele build, my first soprano, made of some kind of mahogany that was recycled from a shelf, with Martin Clear Fluorocarbon .0191-.0216 strings, is too bright and snappy or tinny sounding. Not the mellow sound of my vintage old...
  4. humblej

Soprano Bridge Clamp

Needing a small deep throat clamp for gluing a soprano bridge and remembering seeing some of various sizes somewhere, started searching the usual hardware stores but couldn't find one now that I needed it. Having exhausted all my usual places for tools I increased my search and found them today...
  5. humblej

First Build Necessary Tools, Jigs, and Forms

Having a better than average workshop and hand tools I started my first ukulele build, but soon discovered there were some necessary tools, jigs, and forms that I would need. Being tight with money but handy I often make my own. The other consideration was that this would be a one off build...
  6. humblej

First Ukulele Build

Built a tenor as my first attempt at ukulele build. My experience is building banjos so this was new to me, more like building a model airplane than a banjo. I used all local North American hardwoods: cherry, maple, and walnut, the cherry was a log that I rescued from my firewood pile. Made the...
  7. humblej

Fretboard advice

This is a two part question regarding ukulele fretboard edge treatment and material choices. First question: I have been looking at a lot of pictures of ukes for ideas on fretboard binding or not binding and am a little surprised at how many high end commercial and vintage uke fretboards have...
Top Bottom