Search results

1. humblej

Oops

Here is a soprano ukulele next to a banjolele. The scale length is about the same but the fretboard length, number of frets, and length of the neck are different due to the difference in body/pot size.
  2. humblej

Oops

A ukulele neck will not work on a banjolele pot, its not the pot size, its the neck length. Swapping a concert neck out for a tenor or baritone neck will only make the problem worse. Whatever neck you use for a banjolele will need to be longer than a ukulele neck of the same scale, 4-6 frets...
  3. humblej

It’s been a while

I am game, post some pictures.
  4. humblej

Newbie Stewmac Kit: adding upgrades/bling .. peghead veneer thickness?

I am not a build guru, and have never built from a kit before. I have always built from scratch. Not many builds, just 4 ukuleles so far, so I am new to this too. Any advice I give is based on my limited specific experience. Your first couple of builds will be learning basic skills: joining...
  5. humblej

For my next learning while also painting ukulele...

I would not remove the label, and since that is where the hole is I would leave the hole alone too. How about posting a picture please.
  6. humblej

looking for a saw to cut corian / bone for saddles

Its not the saw, its the saw blade. Harder material will need a finer blade with more teeth per inch (TPI). More teeth will cut slower so you will need to reduce the speed of the saw and feed the material slower. I have cut bone but have no experience with corian. I would suggest trying a hand...
  7. humblej

Second Soprano Build

Thanks Brad, that is the kind of feedback I am looking for, I appreciate your comments. Regarding the choice of wood, my goal at this point is build and learn, I do not expect to have a fine instrument on the first few attempts, so at this point I have been using what I have on hand, also...
  8. humblej

Second Soprano Build

Not angled, not your eyes, it's the camera.
  9. humblej

Reclaimed mahogany table

Maxus, As a relatively new builder too, I would suggest saving the good wood until you get some build experience. consider your first few builds to be practice. Use inexpensive local wood with simple straight grain, focus on basic building technics, and go simple. Making forms, clamps, bending...
  10. humblej

Sound Board Tap Test

I have read old posts and looked at videos online, but I still do not know what to do and/or what to listen for, while doing a sound board tap test.
  11. humblej

Free Sitka Spruce

The spruce arrived today. Nice looking lumber. Thank you! Jeff
  12. humblej

Second Soprano Build

My first soprano ukulele build did not give me the sound I had wanted and I didn't really care for my choice of wood as well as a few design details of the plans, so removed the tuners and usable hardware and threw the rest of it away. I started over from scratch and with added experience and...
  13. humblej

Dead Spots

To me when a string goes thud, it is because the string is not solidly touching the fret wire or is touching more than one fret wire. This could be a fret level issue, nut height, saddle height, bent or warped neck, any of or a combination of causing poor action. Not frequency or resonance, just...
  14. humblej

Back curvature?

I make mine by turning them on a lathe. This one is 14" dish with a 10' radius.
  15. humblej

Light colored soundboard that takes dye well?

For purfling I leave the pieces of veneer submerged in a plastic tub for about a week for the dye to fully penetrate. To just color a surface the dye can be brushed on.
  16. humblej

Light colored soundboard that takes dye well?

I have been experimenting with Lockwood's colored dyes with basswood veneer for purfling. They have a lot of bright colors to choose from. I have not tried it with any other wood species.
  17. humblej

New Soprano Sounds Too Bright and Snappy

The bridge does look off. I will chalk this one up to experience and recycle the tuners and move on to another soprano build. I have some quilted maple I have been wanting to use, and I'm not ready to cut into my stash of Hawaiian koa yet.
  18. humblej

Bracing is 3/16 x 3/8 cherry.
  19. humblej

.065 for the soundboard, sides, back and bridge plate prior to sanding and finishing.
Top Bottom