Search results

1. M

Vintage Yamaha (Nippon Gakki) ukulele no. 150

Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or knows anything about the Yamaha no. 150, which was made in the 1960s? I've managed to find a bit of discussion of the no. 80 but not so much about the 150. Is it solid or laminate? Reasonable intonation? Rare or fairly easy to come...
  2. M

Strings Strings for Kiwaya U-Trip 02

Hello! I've just got my hands on a Kiwaya U-Trip 02 pineapple sopranino. It's extremely cute and has a lovely tone for such a small uke. I'm now wondering about strings. 1) Does anyone know what strings it ships with? The ones on it aren't bad. I'm just wondering what they are. 2) Has anyone...
  3. M

Fitting a compensated saddle

Hi all. I was wondering how easy it is to change the saddle on a soprano ukulele to a compensated one? I have an Ohana SK-21 (the sopranino) and an Ohana SK-39. I like them both a lot but I have noticed slight intonation inaccuracies compared to my Martin S1, which has a compensated saddle. Can...
  4. M

Will Gotoh UKA tuners fit Martin S1?

Hello UUers! I'm having a lovely time with my new (to me) Martin S1. It's got a beautiful tone and the fretboard is extremely comfortable to play. I'm very happy with my purchase. I can't resist tinkering though. I like friction tuners (both for looks and because they are light in weight) but I...
  5. M

Decision about whether to buy a curious Martin S1

Hello UUers! I am considering buying a secondhand Martin S1 that is extremely cheap (less than half of what it would cost to buy new). It's got a few scratches and dings but no splits or anything like that. The bracing looks fine. It has had a few curious alterations made to it by a previous...
  6. M

Strings String suggestions for Kumalea uke

Hi all, I have a string question. My girlfriend has become the lucky owner/custodian of a vintage Kumalea ukelele that has been in her family for a couple of generations (it has a very cool backstory - a relative of hers was a performer in Australia in the early 20th century and so the uke has...
  7. M

NUD: Ohana SK-21

Thought I'd share my first impressions of the Ohana SK-21 that arrived in the post today! I'll include a photo of it next to my SK-39 soprano for comparison. It is a cute little sopranino uke. I ordered it online from one of the few shops in Australia that had them in stock (shipping costs are...
  8. M

Miscellaneous questions about vintage Kumalae koa uke

Hi all, I am soon to be the owner of this vintage Kumalae ukulele (it's been bought and put aside as a birthday present for me). It's had a couple of obvious repairs made (one to the headstock and another to the bridge), but overall it's in pretty good nick for its age. I'd like to have it as a...
  9. M

How do compensated bridges work?

Hello! I've been looking at reviews of various ukuleles recently and I noticed that some of them have compensated bridges. (For example, the Kiwaya KTS-7, but I'm sure there are many.) I've been thinking a bit about intonation on my soprano and trying to wrap my head around how the physics of...
  10. M

Difference between sopraninos Ohana SK-21 and SK-21M

Hi all. I've been contemplating acquiring a sopranino (is this the dreaded UAS??) and there seem to be a few of these Ohanas about. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these models? Is there any difference in the sound quality between the two different versions of the mahogany...
  11. M

Effect of lowering string action on tone / volume?

Hello all. I've been considering having the action on my Ohana SK-39 lowered a fraction. I am interested in hearing any perspectives people might have about the potential effect this could have on the uke's tone or volume. I'm planning on taking it into my local uke shop and having the tuners...
  12. M

String recommendations to address boomy C string

Hello all. I have an Ohana SK-39, which is my first (and at present, only) ukulele. At the moment I have it strung with clear Martin fluorocarbons. I've noticed that the C string is a bit boomy. It tends to drown out the other strings a bit. I was wondering if someone could recommend some other...
  13. M

Opinions on "Bondi-Shock Rock Hard Case" (Australia) ?

Hello all! I'm in Melbourne, Australia and have been in search of a good hard case for my soprano ukulele. I've found that there isn't a huge supply of hard cases once you start looking - not local ones, anyway. Postage from overseas to Australia is pretty steep at the moment. I was wondering...
  14. M

Will deluxe Gotoh friction tuners fit Ohana SK-39

Hi all! This is my first post on these forums. I bought my first ukulele about a month ago, an Ohana SK-39. I really love it but I'm contemplating upgrading the friction tuners from the entry level Gotoh fricton tuners (model UKB) to the deluxe ones (model UKA). I've found the friction tuners I...
Top Bottom