Search results

1. M

Vintage Yamaha (Nippon Gakki) ukulele no. 150

Hi folks. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or knows anything about the Yamaha no. 150, which was made in the 1960s? I've managed to find a bit of discussion of the no. 80 but not so much about the 150. Is it solid or laminate? Reasonable intonation? Rare or fairly easy to come...
  2. M

Martin S1 Owners: strings

Iʻve had Christopher Davis Shannon’s Tinman Magic Ukulele Strings on my S1 for a while now. They also sound great. Similar to M600s in feel and tone but somehow with a bit of extra pizzaz and jangle.
  3. M

Strings Strings for Kiwaya U-Trip 02

Yes, that’s why I mentioned I was using D tuning.
  4. M

What would a fifth course be

This is basically how a charango is tuned! The charango has double courses rather than single, and the re-entrance of the strings works in a different way to the uke. But the extra course is a fifth above the A string.
  5. M

Strings Strings for Kiwaya U-Trip 02

Hello! I've just got my hands on a Kiwaya U-Trip 02 pineapple sopranino. It's extremely cute and has a lovely tone for such a small uke. I'm now wondering about strings. 1) Does anyone know what strings it ships with? The ones on it aren't bad. I'm just wondering what they are. 2) Has anyone...
  6. M

Fitting a compensated saddle

Hi all. I was wondering how easy it is to change the saddle on a soprano ukulele to a compensated one? I have an Ohana SK-21 (the sopranino) and an Ohana SK-39. I like them both a lot but I have noticed slight intonation inaccuracies compared to my Martin S1, which has a compensated saddle. Can...
  7. M

Soprano Ukulele Original "Strumming at Torreira Praia"

What a cool tune! I love the low G. Is that a vintage Bruko?
  8. M

Will Gotoh UKA tuners fit Martin S1?

Alternatively, what are the other "fancy" / high end friction pegs? I've only tried the Gotohs so far. (I'm not that interested in the planetary / geared tuners, just plain old friction pegs). This is going to be my main uke for a long time yet so I'm up for splashing out on some nice hardware!
  9. M

Will Gotoh UKA tuners fit Martin S1?

Hello UUers! I'm having a lovely time with my new (to me) Martin S1. It's got a beautiful tone and the fretboard is extremely comfortable to play. I'm very happy with my purchase. I can't resist tinkering though. I like friction tuners (both for looks and because they are light in weight) but I...
  10. M

Decision about whether to buy a curious Martin S1

Update: I bought it! Thanks for all the advice. It's a dinged up little uke but I really like its tone and with a bit of TLC and dusting / cleaning I think it will have a happy life with me. The first item on the agenda, after some dusting, is changing the strings. Not sure whether to go for...
  11. M

I know! I think it was almost so cheap as to make me feel suspicious 😝
  12. M

The new S1 Martins go for about $800-$900 AUD here and this one is $375. So it's less than half price. Incidentally, I've seen the S1K ukes that are about to become available here advertised at about $999 AUD. I think shipping prices to Australia from the US are just insane at the moment.
  13. M

I should add that it intonated pretty well when I played it in the shop.
  14. M

Thanks for the reply. The saddle does look a bit weird, doesn't it. Do you think it's possible that the original saddle fell out somehow and then has been put back in around the wrong way? The S1 does have a compensated saddle, from what I've seen online.
  15. M

Hello UUers! I am considering buying a secondhand Martin S1 that is extremely cheap (less than half of what it would cost to buy new). It's got a few scratches and dings but no splits or anything like that. The bracing looks fine. It has had a few curious alterations made to it by a previous...
  16. M

Strings String suggestions for Kumalea uke

Thanks all! Sounds like I have a few things to try - different tuning, various fluorocarbon strings. Do you think that fluorocarbon strings might hold their tuning a little better than the Nylguts? I have noticed that the Aquilas can be a little temperamental as the instrument warms up from...
  17. M

I suppose my main concern is - will putting fluorocarbons on it create too much tension?
  18. M

Hi all, I have a string question. My girlfriend has become the lucky owner/custodian of a vintage Kumalea ukelele that has been in her family for a couple of generations (it has a very cool backstory - a relative of hers was a performer in Australia in the early 20th century and so the uke has...
  19. M

... and speaking of chords ...

No worries! I am relatively self-taught on the theory front so this was also a useful opportunity for me to look up a few things and formalise my understanding about how minor scales work. My general rough method for figuring out the key something is in to go to the end of the song (or the end...
  20. M

... and speaking of chords ...

Correction, it's called a harmonic minor scale. Here's a quick video that explains the three types of minor scale:
Top Bottom