Search results

1. C

Post of picture of

Your uke (that's singular) where the scenery either compliments the uke or matches the music you play most (the inclusion of the musician is optional). Of course, you are not limited to just 1 pic; but, please, limit 1 picture per post (so that I can see which pic is the most liked) AND please...
  2. C

Interesting fact about our little soprano uke

According to Kamaka, the soprano we know and love today is actaully a big version of the original/normal ukulele. The initial ukuleles were smaller than our sopranos. Then Kamaka made the pineapple ukuleles. Then Kamaka made a bigger ukulele to match the pineapple sound (and this bigger ukulele...
  3. C

Your musical background; how it helped you with uke...

... or how has the uke helped you with your other musical adventures? Playing the uke has cetrainly brought music into my life. I never really listened to music much throughout my life; so if I never played a uke, I'd never know how good music can be. Prior to the uke, I played piano for a few...
  4. C

Play that uke!

Many of us own more than 1 uke; and, naturally, there's a uke that's played less than the others. Let's do something special for that lonely uke. Let's play it! So, dig into your closet and bring it out; take it for a little spin and tell us something about it. Here's my little lonely uke; I...
  5. C

I watched a terrible movie 5 times

The first time, I skipped a half day in high school to watch it with my classmates. The second time, I watched it with my college roommate and some friends. The third time, I watched it in grad school with a group of people. The fourth time, I watched it when I was 30 yrs old and, again, with a...
  6. C

Practice journal

I accidentally started a practice journal a few months ago. Been consistently updating it after every practice session. It's actually surprisingly helpful with my practice efficiency and motivation. It's the first time I've kept a practice journal; and, so far, it's been a very rewarding...
  7. C

What's a good way to get that high-G strings into action when finger picking?

I'm mainly a strummer on the uke. However, I've been finger picking Christmas songs on my uke lately. The book I'm using is an easy piano book with only standard notations. I don't have issues playing the songs on the uke; my problem is that all my ukes are tuned re-entrant, so I have this...
  8. C

When active learning stops

I guess I should mention that I think "active learning" means. It means to learn new techniques; and once mastered/passed, moving on to more challenging new things. It requires concentrated practice and focusing on the most difficult parts and pushing beyond/expanding your abilities...
  9. C

Some tips that's forgotten

Here're some tips that a player may have known at one point but have forgotten (or just become lazy and start to ingrain bad habits). I think it might be interesting to have a thread for these little tips. Post something that you did correct once upon a time but had to be reminded again later...
  10. C

Who's not played a Kamaka soprano?

If you've not played a Kamaka soprano and you are a soprano player. You should check it out.
  11. C

Who hasn't bought a uke in ....

I've not bought a uke in more than a year! There was a brief moment that I thought about buying, but I was saved by my own thread https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/please-somebody-buy-this.146930/ I think my UAS is under control.
  12. C

Uke challenge

Are you up for a challenge? It's entirely free and very likely to be extremely fun. Every player is able to accomplish it; but it might be challenging for many. I got this idea from reading UU posts from rainbow21 and joyful Uke; so a big thank you! Please post here if you are welling to...
  13. C

Uke addicted

Ukulele Dependency Scale Score 1 point for every "yes" answer. 1. Have you played the uke in public or in a group? 2. Do you own more than 3 ukuleles? 3. Do you own an Aloha shirt? 4. Can you name 10 ukulele brands offhand? 5. Can you name at least 2 ukulele performers by name or stage name...
  14. C

Let's learn uke together !

Would anybody be interested in learning the uke together in a peer-review format? Basically, each month, we'd agree on a few songs and post videos on our works-in-progress for peer feedback/comments/mutual encouragements.
  15. C

Cordoba Mini II review -- plays like a uke, sounds like a guitar?

So, after much consideration about the ergos of a small guitar/large uke, I got myself a Cordoba Mini II instead of a baritone uke. (Sorry baritone, I'll get you some day; I promise.) Overall, the build quality is just OK for the price (nothing too good or bad that stands out). The pickup sound...
  16. C

Buying something at Sweetwater? ... and interested in a Cordoba Mini II?

Seems like a good price if you're already planning to buy something > $100 from Sweetwater. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMini2Pk--cordoba-mini-ii-acoustic-guitar-padauk Tech Specs String Type:Nylon Number of Strings:6 Body Shape:Mini II Left-/Right-handed:Right-handed...
  17. C

Free online classical guitar class

I think this is a great class and would like to tell more people. This online class completely free. The way it works is you post videos of you playing the assigned songs each month and get feedback from peers and more experienced players. The levels go from D01 to D08, where each level is...
  18. C

Youtube help (how to disable ads on your own videos)

I noticed that Youtube is putting ads at the beginning of some of my public videos. I make videos usually to help forum members and make some public to help others; so I prefer them to have no ads. What settings do I need to make to tell Youtube not to monetize the videos (i.e. don't put ads)...
  19. C

Is your uke top too thick?

So, I read about a method to check your top thickness. Quick and dirty, but easy and fun to do. Hold your uke on its side and look down (i.e. you'll see the ukes side). Gently squeeze the back and top with your fingers. Does the top move? If it is too thick, it won't move. I made a video in...
  20. C

Uke in paintings (possibly NSFW)

I've got to go see the original.
Top Bottom