Search results

1. Canada Jim

Song Help Request Help! I want to tab a song, but I don't know how.

I assume that you mean reading a song that someone else has tabbed rather than tabbing it yourself. Guitar tabs are written on 6 lines, while ukulele tabs are on 4 lines. In each case, each line stands for a string. How To Read Ukulele Tabs Good luck El Goon!
  2. Canada Jim

I don't know what to make of this--help!

I have a number of mandolins, guitars and ukuleles and none of these have one piece tops except for a mahogany uke. The guitars are Martin, Gibson, Levin-built Goya and Yamaha. The mandolins are Washburn, Eastman and a Trinity octave. All of these have solid 2 piece book-matched spruce or...
  3. Canada Jim

Your Favourite Ukulele Ukulele Song

Washington At Valley Forge (a variant of Crazy Words, Crazy Tune) Loudon Wainwright III's Ukulele Song Four strings made of nylon Always put a smile on Anybody's face who's feeling down My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues
  4. Canada Jim

SOTU 632 "I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS"

Joseph's Dream - John Hartford Here's a Bible story lifted by John Hartford from the Old Testament. (Sorry about my screen with the lyrics going blank, so I had to touch the mouse pad before I finished.)
  5. Canada Jim

Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream - Ed McCurdy I see Jon has beat me to this one and I'm off now to listen to his rendition. I first saw Ed at the 1962 Mariposa Folk Festival, where I attended his vocal workshop. Before the turn of the century, we invited Ed McCurdy to perform at the Cobourg...
  6. Canada Jim

Here's an old Bob Dylan talkin' blues called Talkin' World War III. Dylan recorded this on his 2nd album, Freewheelin'.
  7. Canada Jim

What’s your opinion on this type of handwritten tab?

It's also amazing how much inaccuracy is posted online.
  8. Canada Jim

Tuner Talk - CAUTION: POSSIBLY CONTROVERSIAL OPINION - I hate the clip on tuner.

These instructions come with the Snark and similar ones with other clip on tuners. Of course no one seems to ever read these instructions. They're like the instructions on your shampoo bottle; nobody reads them either. My clip-ons come off and are clipped to the mic stand as soon as my...
  9. Canada Jim

Yes, I believe that Jay Unger and Molly Mason run (ran?) the Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camp and Jay wrote the tune to be played by the members on the last day of camp as they were leaving to go home. The tune was used as the title theme of the 1990 TV series The Civil War and was included in a...
  10. Canada Jim

Seasonistas on-line get together / open mic

I Just Wish That She Were Here - Garrison Keillor I heard Garrison Keillor do this on a tape of a Prairie Home Companion radio show. I assumed that he wrote it, but I may be wrong. I sang it at yesterday's Seasonistas' Open Mic Zoom Meet Up, but it was very poorly attended, with NO female...
  11. Canada Jim

Season 631: I Mist You

DINK'S SONG - P.D. (collected by John & Alan Lomax from a woman named Dink) Early one morning, in the drizzling rain Down in my heart I felt an aching pain I first heard this by Dave Van Ronk during the Great Folk Scare, but my version is nothing like his. Thanks for a fun season Jon.
  12. Canada Jim

Low G tuning

I have a Worth unwound low G and it is definitely skinnier than a wound low G.
  13. Canada Jim

I've found that many computer assisted TABs are lacking in showing proper timng. Some show a parallel standard notation, but that's not necessary for a properly written TAB. Here is what my hand-written TABs are like, showing the proper timing. This is Jay Unger's Ashokan Farewell.
  14. Canada Jim

Happy Trails To You - Dale Evans Roy and Dale closed all of their shows with this cheerful little ditty. Who cares about the clouds when we're together? Just sing a song, and bring the sunny weather.
  15. Canada Jim

Snowing again today, March 22. -3°C Our poor crocuses (croci?)
  16. Canada Jim

Season of the 'Ukulele (SOTU) 629 - Season of the Cuckoo'lele

Just arrived in this morning's mail. Thanks a lot Chris and thanks for being our host this season.
  17. Canada Jim

Remembering Andy Dowling

Years later I married a hammered dulcimer player. Here are Maggie, me, our buddy Al Kirby and our son Darcy playing at a festival in Aylmer, Ontario.
  18. Canada Jim

Is "cowboy chords" a derogatory term?

I don't know who first said, "If it sounds good, it is good," but it's my mantra. In an article about Jean Ritchie, she mentioned doing a gig with Doc Watson. There was one song she'd always accompanied on the guitar, but figured if she was playing with Doc, he'd do a better job of accopanying...
Top Bottom