Search results

1. rainbow21

Chase and his father, Jake, perform before UH volleyball match

Just saw this on a FB post by Shawn Yacavone of Ukulele Friend:
  2. rainbow21

String height video from KoAloha and Jonah Davis

Twelve minute video on string heights (and adjusting), effect on sound, and touching on setup.
  3. rainbow21

A house built of koa !

This is not about ukuleles, except that anything involving koa on this forum is about ukuleles... https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/article/koa-wood-house-mana-hale-hawaii-18656218.php
  4. rainbow21

A Merry Little Christmas story

About two decades ago, I asked my father who he was corresponding with. He told me the person was a famous songwriter that he had met in Europe in World War II. Famous?... Never heard of him (before my time). A few years ago, the correspondence and a couple of photos were passed on to me in a...
  5. rainbow21

What is your most expensive hobby?

When I first looked to buy an ukulele to get started five years ago, I spent $100 for the most expensive "beginner" ukulele. At the time I thought that was really cheap, having paid $1200 for my son's trumpet for middle school. About three months later I had a KoAloha in hand and never looked...
  6. rainbow21

Congratulations to Elderly Instruments!

This is off their FB post... https://www.elderly.com/blogs/all-strings-considered/elderly-instruments-is-named-america-s-top-small-business?fbclid=IwAR2kseut4TWMO95QMlgvI0XYllpxWltfngLCJRgLBgR0jR6mQkdpeetEmTg
  7. rainbow21

A total eclipse of the...

Didn't Bonnie Raitt sing about this? Clouds make a great filter for the phone camera.
  8. rainbow21

Platypus cam at San Diego Zoo

Apparently the zoo has the only two platypus outside of Australia. There is a video camera that you can bring up to spot them (just got my first sighting!): https://sdzsafaripark.org/cams/platypus-cam?fbclid=IwAR0IlQ_hcVHWORCxV75v7B005SqcXaDvMRBcV7D6_L6bnVn3oXR6Wjs6SLo
  9. rainbow21

Honolulu ukulele shops excursions

I had a five night R & R trip to Honolulu with only two dinners and a lunch scheduled. For the first time, I was not going to rent a car to go to the North Shore and The Ukulele Site. Instead, I wanted to visit The Ukulele Store (on Lewers St.), the Kanile’a Store at Ala Moana mall, and the...
  10. rainbow21

New Uke Day (NUD) NUD: Barron River soprano

I have had my BR soprano for a few months now, ordering it after receiving and loving my concert last year (and waiting a half year). I was seeking a soprano that would be used for chord melody more than strum and sing (where many other sopranos excel at). So tone, intonation, and sustain were...
  11. rainbow21

After the breakup, I got all broke up

"Regrets! I've had a few..." So have you sold an ukulele and later regretted giving it up? Why did you sell it? Why do you regret selling it? And are you doing anything about the situation?
  12. rainbow21

Pending Mya-Moe soprano #232 - mango

This is a 2010 build by Gordon and Char Mayer and Aaron Keim. I am perhaps the third or fourth owner and am moving it on as I acquired a custom Barron River soprano. Price is what I paid for it: $800 and will include free shipping in the ConUSA. Paypal G&S only and I will pick up the fees for...
  13. rainbow21

NUD: Moore Bettah concert (!!!!!)

I am fortunate to have “won” the opportunity to purchase a Moore Bettah concert ukulele from Chuck Moore’s facebook sale last month. I had given up hope of being able to acquire a Moore Bettah ukulele. In pondering a NUD (which I have been doing for weeks), it is obvious that it looks great...
  14. rainbow21

The Ukulele (not a word) Game

Everytime I click on new posts, there are multiple “word” games at the top. So I thought an an ukulele game (of sorts) could battle for a spot there occasionally. So here is the “game”: Pretend that cost is zero object for your ultimate ukulele that will end your UAS (guaranteed!). What ukulele...
  15. rainbow21

What's good for ukuleles is good against Covid spread

A study from "The Journal of the Royal Society Interface" on Nov 16 showed that a relative humidity of 40 - 60% indoors is the "sweet spot" for minimizing the spread of Covid. Made me think of ukuleles right away. It is also a comfort sweet spot...
  16. rainbow21

Using Magic to buy ukuleles

Magic: The Gathering was the first "collectible card game". Its first "Alpha edition" was released in 1993 and is going strong today, with over 100 different sets and expansions. Each time a new release came out, I would likely buy a box (or two or ...) of 45 packs for $120. And there were...
  17. rainbow21

NUD: Barron River concert

Over a year ago, I was saddened as I decided to pass on a Moore Bettah uke, letting logic prevail over my heart. I realized it might be my last opportunity to purchase one. As time passed and I rued my decision more, I decided to find another custom builder to build a no holds barred ukulele...
  18. rainbow21

Two uke stops in Honolulu

I was finally able to make it to Honolulu on my third attempt (due to Covid situation in HI). I did not bring an ukulele with me as the trip was also a break from playing and from watching TV. It was not a break from eating (burp!). Two ukulele stops stood out this trip. One was to the Ukulele...
  19. rainbow21

Latest Profile Posts

On the right side of my Forums Page, there are two sections. One is "Latest Posts". The other is "Latest Profile Posts". In this column, it appears as if these are "PMs" that are meant to be a private communication between members, including emails, PayPal accounts, and others that I do not...
  20. rainbow21

Buying? Selling? Neither? Both?

So where are you two years after Covid protocols began? As things loosen up, are you looking to buy a new uke? Are you selling and downsizing? Are you standing pat while UAS is in remission? Or are you looking to buy another with a one in, one out policy? In the past two years, I downsized a...
Top Bottom