Search results

1. rainbow21

Strings Mixing Strings and Scales

Agree with Jim. My way of thinking about it is simply to shorten the string by fretting it or even just pinching it at the concert scale length. Tension is the same and note is what you hear (about a Bb)
  2. rainbow21

Low G XS soprano Romero creations

This might be a good starting point: https://luthier.peperomero.com/strings/p/us2-sopranoconcert-ukulele-low-g
  3. rainbow21

How many ukes have you got? (expanded poll)

So I used your system of counting and found out I had a negative number of ukuleles. So I told my spouse that and that I needed to buy more ukuleles and..., ...and she threatened to "El Kabong" me with any one of my imaginary number of ukuleles. Who said that numbers don't lie?
  4. rainbow21

Video : Aloha City Ukes Set-Up Process - Ukulele Set Up

Yeah, that surprised me in the video that he went straight to sanding the saddle. Also he noted that only KoAloha sets a good saddle height from the factory. So I guess experience says to do the saddle and then check the nut if needed. Also liked the timeline he described on how it could easily...
  5. rainbow21

Ohana vs. Koaloha Opio Solid Cacia

Since you have identified your "ultimate", then you should look for one in the used market here. It will save you quite a bit, both from being used and from taking a loss on resale of an Ohana or Opio. And the price of a KoAloha over the next years will likely increase more than the others. Your...
  6. rainbow21

Buying to Try

This forum maybe is the best way to buy and sell ukuleles. And this is not just for those who live in uke deserts. Other than Hawaii, I am not sure if many other areas in the US have a great selection. I live in the Bay Area (CA) and can drive to Gryphon Strings, The Ukulele Source, and other...
  7. rainbow21

Decision paralysis deciding which Uke to buy next

Yeah, Ed is responsible for a couple of ukuleles that I bought too. No longer sure if I imagined the "Nyeh heh heh!" from him in this forum or if it could be a real thing... BTW, I believe there are many distinct differences between a Kamaka and a KoAloha and you should take the opportunity to...
  8. rainbow21

Hello from Los Angeles, California

Welcome! Are you within driving reach of Huntington Beach? Island Bazaar uku store has a rich offering of group gatherings. I did a Sunday afternoon session a couple of months ago and had a good time.
  9. rainbow21

Has anyone ever tried something like this for acrylic nails?

They make fingerpicks... not sure if these would meet your needs: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search?s=fingerpicks
  10. rainbow21

Do ukulele players have favorite key signatures, for ease of playing?

I first think of C, G and F. Then D is also doable. Others, maybe not so much. Had to think of why... and came up with the ease of playing the I, IV, and V chords in their major keys: Key of C: C, F, G Key of G: G, C, D Key of F: F, Bb, C (and Bb is not "easy" to start) Key of...
  11. rainbow21

The Got Aways

Ed, even back then your heart knew you were a KoAloha type guy, and not Kanile'a. The Pops mojo is as strong as Jake's, maybe stronger.
  12. rainbow21

Today's Chuckle

13. rainbow21

How large is your Ukeverse?

Besides playing and practicing at home and engaging in this forum (we know who you are!), how else do you engage with others in your ukulele universe? I do check in multiple times a day with the listings on TUS. Online I am a Patreon follower of Stu Fuchs, Matt Dahlberg, and Ukulenny. And I...
  14. rainbow21

Favourite brand of ukulele?

Apparently all your dreams are going to come true! Read the first post: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/koaloha-factory-tour-unveils-some-interesting-things-to-come%E2%80%A6.163437/#post-2486304
  15. rainbow21

Moore Bettah

Chuck describes himself as an "artist" and the appellation fits. In the past (and no longer, unfortunately), if he contracted with you to build an ukulele, he would discuss the design elements and come up with one that likely was better than the buyer imagined. The book, "Building and Owning a...
  16. rainbow21

The Hawaiian steel guitar changed American music. Can one man keep that tradition alive?

Just received an email introducing a songbook from F Sokolow: https://www.sokolowmusic.com/fred-sokolow-store#!/FIRST-50-LAP-STEEL-SONGS-YOU-SHOULD-KNOW/p/645286276/category=127116707
  17. rainbow21

Koaloha factory tour unveils some interesting things to come….

That’s a lot of updates that are exciting to hear about. Thanks!
  18. rainbow21

Ukes and endangered woods.....shouldn't we care more?

On the fence, here... The photo is a fence that I replaced last year. It is redwood. Probably every fence in the neighborhood is redwood and most are replacement fences in the last ten years. In fact most fences in the Bay Area are probably redwood. I remember when as a child when we drove into...
  19. rainbow21

New Uke Day (NUD) NUD!!!! Pono Spruce Top Mahogany Tenor ProClassic

And.... everyone said it would be worth the wait. Glad you now agree! So if you order another one today, it might be another two weeks. But time will fly by this time because you will be playing and enjoying this new Pono!
  20. rainbow21

Headed to Hawaii - Tell me what I should buy

So no one here is going to tell you which ukulele to buy... though they might suggest what food to try. You own some very nice ukuleles so I assume you are looking to add ones of similar quality. So you really are looking for what stores to visit. There are some very good suggestions here. Be...
Top Bottom