Search results

1. C

KoAloha Tenor Tuner Change?

Hey folks. Just wondering if anyone here has ever changed out the stock closed-back geared tuners that come on KoAloha tenors. I love my KTM, but find it to be just a little neck heavy (need to support neck when playing seated) and also just prefer the look of back facing tuners. To be clear...
  2. C

Sold Price Reduced: Tenor Fluke, Koa Top, and Pegheds

FS: 2009/10 New Hartford Made Tenor Fluke, Koa Top, Pegheads, and MFC Hard Case. $385 Now $335 shipped CONUSA, Paypal Goods and Services. Photos Here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZg7fXvJPQgDoM188 Picked this up on a whim a couple months ago just because it was priced decently and I always...
  3. C

Rich Men In Rockets - An Original Protest Song

Disclaimer: This song is in no way inspired by or intended to be related to the somewhat similarly named viral song by Anthony Oliver. Nor is it intended to be related to the similarly named song that the great Billy Bragg wrote in response to said viral song (though my song was certainly...
  4. C

New Uke Day (NUD) DDNUD: Double Delayed New Uke Day: Koa Fluke + Takumi TS-1K

Took delivery of both these lovely instruments earlier this week. I definitly didn't need a forth soprano, but I couldn't resist the Takumi that was listed in the Marketplace last week. I had previously owned a Takumi TC-1M (Mahogany Concert), and since selling it had always wanted to try a...
  5. C

Sold Price Reduced: Rebel Cheesecake (Spruce/Mahogany Thinline) Tenor

Selling my Rebel Cheesecake (Spruce/Mahogany Thinline) Matte Finish Tenor. $SOLD Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tjTDCkVsQXkUZV6T8 NOTE: There is a photo in there where I circled a little undulation in the grain in red. This is not a scratch, I only point it so it is not mistaken for one...
  6. C

NUD: Rebel Cheesecake Tenor

DISCLAIMER: This thread is in no way a criticism of HMS, Rebel ukuleles, or even this particular ukulele. It looks, plays, and sounds exactly as was described to me and as expected. This is about the experience that I think a lot of us have had of getting a ukulele that we thought we wanted, and...
  7. C

SOLD: KoAloha KSM-03 Longneck Pineapple (c. 2010) w/ Misi Pickup

SOLD: KoAloha KSM-03 Longneck Pineapple (c. 2010) w/ Misi Pickup I had a KoAloha itch that needing scratching a few months ago and bought this along with a KTM about the same time. This is a tough one to let go of but I can't justify keeping both so I am, relunctantly, letting this one go...
  8. C

White Nail Polish and Cinnamon: The Perfect Combo for Mistakes in Maple

I know there is nothing new under the sun and everyone has their own tricks and techniques for fixing mistakes, but just thought I’d share this here as I am absolutley astounded by how well this worked and maybe it could help someone else someday. I'm not a luthier, but before I had kids and...
  9. C

NUD: Magic Fluke Flea Soprano with Fire Rosette, Peghead tuners, and Wood Fretboard

Took delivery of this lovely Flea yesterday. I'd been wanting something to leave in my living room, unhumidifed in the winter, that I didn't have to worry about my 1.5 and 5 year old playing with, and that I could grab and take place without worrying about. However, since this was something...
  10. C

Preferences for Reentrant dGBE Tuning

Like title says, I’m wondering about the preferences of folks who play a uke tuned dGBE. I deliberately left this broad. Wondering about uke preferences (tenor vs super tenor vs bari), wood preferences, string preferences, and whatever else. For context, I recently bought a set of dGBE...
  11. C

NULD: New Uke Library Day

Motivated by some comments made by @PeteyHoudini about the books in his personal library, I decided I wanted to invest in a solid collection of uke books. I already owned the electronic versions of a few of these books, but have been increasingly finding Kindle and Google Play books...
  12. C

NUD: KoAloha KTM-10C Pikake Classic Series Tenor

Just took delivery of this KoAloha KTM-10C Pikake Classic Series Tenor. https://photos.app.goo.gl/EkEhUQ7wWLcnnMFx7 Solid koa body, mahogany neck, koa fretboard and bridge, and ebony inlays on the fretboard, headstock, and bridge. I've pretty much only been playing sopranos the past couple...
  13. C

NUD: 2010 KoAloha Longneck Pineapple

Ever since I stupidly sold my 2017 KSM-00C classic series soprano, I've been keeping an eye out for either another one of those or an older KoAloha soprano, pinapple, or long neck soprano/pineapple. I don't like all the abalone on the current models, so when I ran across this thing last week I...
  14. C

The ancient history of the guitar (and ukulele)

I ran across this YouTube video today that goes through the evolution of the guitar from the oud, to various lutes, to renaissance guitars, to modern guitars. Most of us are probably aware of the uke's history evolving from Portugeuse instruments, but this video takes you a little further back...
  15. C

FS: Uke.S.A. Bearclaw AO Soprano By Pops KoAloha

I posted this for sale back it April, but was still feeling unsure abut selling it so I pulled the listing pretty quickly. However, I have now made up my mind to let it go. This is a great uke with fantastic setup/playability and a lovely clear and shimmery tone. However, I always gravitate to...
  16. C

FS: Uke.S.A. Bearclaw AO Soprano By Pops KoAloha

Posted an interest check for this a couple weeks ago, but am just finally getting around to posting a proper for sale ad. Great uke with fantastic setup/playability and a lovely clear and shimmery tone. I have too many soprano's and just ordered a Blackbird Clara so I need to let this one go...
  17. C

Interest Check: Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano

Been thinking of selling this one as I'm comtemplating getting a tenor again and also kinda want a parlor guitar. It's a wonderful uke and I've only had it a few months but I tend to favor playing my mahogany sopranos. Feeling ambivalent about selling it and with a 3 week old infant at home...
  18. C

NUD: Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano (w/ sound samples)

NUD: Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano (w/ sound samples) For those who don’t want to read all the dribble I wrote you can just check out the pics and sound samples just below. Any out of tune sounds are simply the strings stretching still (intonation is great); any buzzes...
  19. C

Pure Madness: Experiments tuning soprano to fBbDG, eAC#F#, dGBE

Sometimes I get bored practicing whatever it is I'm working on and start experimenting with strings and tunings just see what happens. When I do this I record a playing sample for myself to listen back to. Today I pulled my C string off my soprano and replaced it with a fremount soloist. Then I...
  20. C

Tuning Down a Concert

In an interview with Ukulelezaza that was shared here a week or so ago, he discussed how he likes keeping his one concert tuned down to reentrant Bb and his tenor tuned reentrant G. I know tuning down a tenor to renetrant Bb, A, or G is a not uncommon practice, but I haven't heard of many folks...
Top Bottom