Search results

1. about2

Pickaso bow anyone?

Saw this and was wondering if anyone has tried it. It's a short "bow" designed for acoustic guitars that gives your instrument a cello-ish vibe. Pretty cool. It says it won't work on nylon strings, but I'm curious if any steel string bari players or perhaps wound string players have tried...
  2. about2

Kiwaya Baritone

Okay - I played one yesterday . . . Anyone have one? It may be a new model as the one I played came straight from the NAMM convention and I haven't seen it offered before. It maybe the best under $300 bari I've played. Starlight Uke had it. If you are looking for one in that price range, you...
  3. about2

Strings Galli and SBM

First, I have to praise Strings by Mail. I ordered a set of strings for a bari and one string out of the four just didn't seem right. I contact SBM and they provided great customer service. They helped me trouble shoot and when things didn't work, and it was determined the one string was bad...
  4. about2

The Versatile Baritone Uke

Here's a short video I threw together to illustrate the variety of ways a bari can be tuned. The video features the same uke (an Ohana 70RB) tuned 4 different ways. 1. Standard tuning - DGBE 2. Standard tuning, capo'd at the 5th (changing its tuning to GCEA) 3. Octave low GCEA, using Perry's...
  5. about2

Going 9 to 5

Well I've done it! I've gone from 9 ukes to 5 and I couldn't be happier. I've sold a few and given a couple as Christmas presents. It's a great feeling - I think it's called contentment or living consistent with ones values..... This journey has been about 7 years in the making. During that...
  6. about2

Strings Perry's Octave Strings (GCEA)

Perry at Starlight Ukes in Portland has put together a set of strings designed to allow your 20 inch baritone to play GCEA - only an octave lower. I picked up a set this weekend and am impressed. (I'm not connected to Starlight in any way - just a happy consumer.) They consist of 3 smooth...
  7. about2

Replacing Tuning Machine Heads

Well I did it! My first adventure into changing out machine heads is complete. Here's what I learned: 1. It can be done. 2. Patience is key. What might have taken some 30 minutes, took me 4+ hours. 3. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason. So I have a vintage Favilla baritone and the tuners...
  8. about2

No longer available KoAloha - KTM 00 Tenor

I'm relisting this guy..... This uke is about two years old. I am the original owner. This uke is a fantastic player with great intonation....I say that because it came directly from KoAloha as a replacement uke. I had purchased one from Mim and had to return it to KoAloha due to a rare...
  9. about2

Crossrock Updated Case

This maybe old news, but I see that crossrock has improved their fiberglass case. I’ve been looking for a hard side case for my Favilla baritone. It’s deeper than most and doesnt fit most cases. But it fits quite nicely in the 2020 model. The previous 1000 model was too small. The 2020...
  10. about2

Sold Pono Master Series Baritone Cedar/Rosewood

This is a dream uke. Listen to the clip below and see what I mean. Cedar/Rosewood - an awesome combo. New lattice bracing making it rich in overtones. Radius fretboard. In like new condition. Why am I selling? I found an extra nice vintage baritone and this guy now sits in his case. He...
  11. about2

Help With Fret Dot

Whoops. My lovely 67 year old Favilla Baritone is missing a fret dot. I just noticed it this morning. Not sure where I lost it - but I'm afraid it's gone. Any idea where I can find a replacement? I have a white bead I might file down to fit . . . but perhaps there's a better way.
  12. about2

Traveling w Bari & Laptop

Just finished a trip for a family reunion. I decided to take my baritone, but didn't want to check a bag. This created a problem because I also wanted to take my laptop for work. I thought I would be forced to leave the bari and take a brief case - but no - I remembered I had an Oahu Pro gig...
  13. about2

Strings Difference Makers: The Low Down & Head Jerk

The Low Down: If you're looking for something different, you might try playing GCEA - only an octave lower. Some people love em, others hate em. But I put a set of Guadalupe low GCEA strings on my Ohana 70RB baritone and thought I'd share the result. Not perfect playing, but good enough for...
  14. about2

Something fun: GceA tuning

Just dinking around yesterday and tried something that turned out rather nicely. I put a low A string on a baritone that was tuned gcea.....so now it is tuned, with a low G, a normal c, normal e, and a Low A. (GceA). Had me grinning as I played some songs I know - and also left me a little...
  15. about2

Playing Pain-free

This year is my 6th year for playing a stringed instrument. It's also the first year I experienced some hand/finger discomfort. To be honest, at first it scared me. I'm in my 60's and know it can be an age related issue. I don't want to lose the ability to play pain-free. Here's what I did...
  16. about2

New Uke Day (NUD) Favilla Baritone Uke

I recently was able to purchase a vintage Favilla Baritone. I've had the gem for about 2 weeks and thought it was about time to share my thoughts. This uke was restored and setup by Jake Wildwood, I believe in 2013. He did a super job on it. I'm fortunate as it was lovingly cared for by its...
  17. about2

Favilla Baritone Questions

Well thanks to pdxuke, I’m a new Favilla bari owner. I couldn’t resist it. Tis lovely. Everything I’ve read about them is true. It rivals the tone of any baritone I’ve played. Three questions. First, it doesn’t have strap pins. I’m a little nervous adding a tail pin to a 60+ year old...
  18. about2

Free Interactive game to learn your fretboard

Perhaps this has already been shared, and I missed it. But wowzer, check this out: https://www.fachords.com/tools/fretboard-trainer/ Just use the drop down menu to change the guitar fretboard to uke (or baritone uke) and follow the directions. Great way to be working on your playing when you...
  19. about2

Strings Baritone String Woes

Here's my whine or rant . . . there are fewer string options for baritone ukes than other sizes. There, I said it. At Strings by Mail one can find over 70 options for tenor ukes. But for Bari's? Only 32. At The Ukulele Site, one can fine 64 options for tenors. But only 29 for Bari's. At...
  20. about2

Traveling with two Ukes

Just returned from a trip across the pond. My wife and I each carried a uke - she a ubass and me a baritone. They fitted nicely in the overhead bins. Here are a few observations: 1. Ukes do well on planes. We had no issues boarding with them, however, note the size of your plane(s). One...
Top Bottom