Search results

1. ripock

triplets

I am just curious what other people do for their triplet strums. Obviously, any combination of strums will work. For example one could just do three downstrokes as if he or she were a guitarist in a punk rock band. Any combo will work as long as you practice it and get the groove into your...
  2. ripock

musical influences

It was my birthday and I was introspective. I recalled my musical path. On the serious level I had played classical music for 30 years and I have complete CD collections of Bach, Mozart, and Wagner (younger people will no doubt have to Google what a cd is). On the not so serious level I have...
  3. ripock

favorite chromatic chord insertions

I mostly make music derived from minor modalities (minor pentatonic, harmonic/melodic minor, altered scale, diminished scale) but I frequently insert the non-diatonic DΔ chord (I'm usually playing in E). A lot of the diatonic chords sound a bit exotic and playing the non-exotic DΔ sounds exotic...
  4. ripock

why no even-numbered chords ??

We've all seen 9, 11, and 13 chords. But why aren't there 10, 12, and 14 chords? Does anyone know why?
  5. ripock

guiro on ukulele

I know there are some anal people among us who always clip the ends off their strings or have those little beads to make everything tidy. However, if like me you are less than fastidious there is a possible benefit. I always leave the tail end on my strings after I tie them to the bridge. And...
  6. ripock

What I'm theorizing about today

There is a thread about why people are scared of theory and by its nature it is kind of negative and negativity never achieved anything. I suggest we actually document what we're accomplishing with theory. What positive steps are we taking in our ukulele life to move forward.
  7. ripock

ukulele can be disappointing

Fedex just dropped off an approximately 10X20 box for my wife and although I harbor a bit of disdain for the soprano I was thinking that perhaps my wife got me a martin from the 30's...probably the only soprano I would even contemplate keeping. Man, I thought, this is a love supreme and...
  8. ripock

Kala baritone for give

I have bespoken a custom baritone that tickles my fancy. It is to replace a Kala baritone that I haven't played in about three years. There's nothing wrong with it, there's just nothing right with it. I've never dropped it or damaged it in any way. It has been sitting in its padded gig bag...
  9. ripock

sound hole shape

Hello folks, Is there any functional reason why sound holes are round? I was thinking why cannot I have a trapezoid or even the sexist cutout of the mud flat woman that used to adorn semi trucks in the 70's?
  10. ripock

strings: top four versus bottom four

In certain times, we use guitar strings for things like baritone uke, solid body uke, tenor guitar, cigar box guitar. Usually, with a set of guitar strings, I just throw away the two base strings and keep the DGBE strings and use the Chicago tuning. But this time, I threw away the two treble...
  11. ripock

can strings wear out

I am having a weird problem. I can no longer get the B note on the 16th fret of my A string. When I play it, it plays a C. I undoubtably have an extra A string lying around in my box of miscellany and I'll try a new string. However I was just curious if anyone else has ever come across this...
  12. ripock

pulling strings off fretboard

In a recent discussion somewhere on the ukulele boards, someone mentioned that finger style players like wider nuts. Being a finger style player myself, this was news to me. One reason I don't require a wide nut, string spacing, or wide fret board is the fact that I like to pull the A string...
  13. ripock

fast arpgeggio runs

I have to admit that an influence on me is early 80's neo-classical metal. To that end, I often improvise with Harmonic minor modes on my ukes. I can play argeggios as well. But I've been wondering how to connect them like they did in the 80's. Do you know what I mean? The musician would...
  14. ripock

ukulele blues, again

Periodically, someone posts about learning to play blues. They usually get some unhelpful advice about you have to live the blues or something like that. However, I'd like to notify people that on Patreon Tenthumbs Productions just started a 10-day blues challenge. It is very rudimentary and...
  15. ripock

ukulele to guitar

I wanted to give my ukulele friends some encouragement. If you want to, you can totally play guitar. On a whim, I bought what would have been considered cool in my youth, a magenta B.C. Rich guitar (the Rich Bich). I bought some Slinky strings because that's what kids did back then and I...
  16. ripock

respect to my busking friends

I went to the market to buy some white stock for fondant potatoes because I was feeling too indolent to make my own. There was a guy out front, with an electric guitar, with two amps, playing arpeggiated chords to accompany his recitativo versions of Christmas music...and I wanted to punch him...
  17. ripock

sussing out the sus4

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do with the sus4 when composing/improvising? I am restricting my question to the sus4 because it seems to be highly preferred to the sus2 (at least in the books I have glanced at) and, secondly, because I don't really like the sound of the sus2...
  18. ripock

using a guitar like a uke?

Will it harm a guitar to only string it up like a uke (i.e., only the first 4 strings)? I have an opportunity to have a B.C. Rich guitar (so deliciously 80's) but I have no interest in base strings and no gumption to learn anything new. I in essence want to make this my electric baritone uke.
  19. ripock

where do you live

You thought this was going to be one of those invasive personal polls, but it isn't. My question is where are your fingers’ natural abode? I ask because I’ve been going through some changes lately and have been wondering about other people. Over time I have been drifting up the fret board...
  20. ripock

F# vs Gb

How do you guys think of his key when you think of it on an abstract level. I mean, if there's a musical context and the music is moving down the fret board, then naturally you're going to go with Gb since everything is trending to the flattening. So, if there's no context and you're just...
Top Bottom