Search results

1. ripock

Strings Strings high tension

If you want less tension, try concert strings and not baritone strings as previously advised. Just make sure the concert strings are long enough for a super tenor scale. Worth strings work because they are double the length. To alleviate tension I also downtune to EAC#F# instead of GCEA...
  2. ripock

Fret markers in the wrong spots?

I agree that markers are a bit decorative, and on my custom ukes I insist on the decorative pattern of a side dot on all the pentatonic frets to pay homage to the roots of American music, especially needed now in light of white nationalism.
  3. ripock

my ukulele progress

The camel wore a nightie.
  4. ripock

my ukulele progress

okay, now it is actually time for bed. Beethoven hasn't copyrighted A, B, and C, so I could argue I am not plagiarizing him but then I started playing more and more of his song. My larceny is now pellucidly transparent. That's the benefit of playing scales. If you play scales on three...
  5. ripock

my ukulele progress

I have to go take my pre-work nap, but I quickly wanted to annotate what I was doing. Capitalizing on my recent success with A, I plagiarized Beethoven's A, AAA B CC. Obviously that's just a whole step then a half step jump. So then I was responding to the melody but with odd chord qualities...
  6. ripock

my ukulele progress

In Greek they use the word areté which roughly means excellent. The idea is to be excellent. In practical terms that means to have a principle and commit to it excellently. That's my definition of a good person: have a guiding principle, which I may or may not agree with, and just embody it...
  7. ripock

my ukulele progress

I have been rather satisfied with my perambulations through the modes of E Double Harmonic Δ. Primarily because I was able, though by accident, to shift the tonal center to A. I was just playing around and when I landed on A, it just sounded right to stop and resolve. That is successful modal...
  8. ripock

Questions to ask for a custom build

first of all, you probably shouldn't get a custom at the incipient stage of your musical journey. Not because of all that rigamarole about earning the right to a custom but because you need to know what you want in order to ask for it. Then you tell the luthier what these essentials are. I'm...
  9. ripock

Do ukulele players have favorite key signatures, for ease of playing?

By including the enharmonic keys
  10. ripock

my ukulele progress

Like a 25 year old, I enjoyed a pyrrhic victory over my wife. I was right, but sometimes, you can be right and still be wrong. Even though I knew better, I rubbed her face in it and forced her to acknowledge my truth step by step. Even though I am right, she will now sulk for a week. So What...
  11. ripock

Help with transitioning from one verse to another?

techniically, there are 3 dim7 chords--all the same shape--but varying in position. The dim7 is a quadrilateral; just make sure one of the corners of the dim7 touches the note you are after, and then you're golden
  12. ripock

Help with transitioning from one verse to another?

to hide the cracks in my melodies I tend to engage in a few practices. Just to name a few: a glissando, using a dim7 to shake things up, alter the strum briefly, use a picking pattern for a beat, double-stops, or even soundboard tapping to fill the gap with some percussion. Or you can just...
  13. ripock

my ukulele progress

I was forcing myself to play some modes which were rather uncomfortable. I don't primarily mean physically uncomfortable although there are one or two 3-fret gaps such as the interval between C and D#. It is a big jump but nothing that planting a pinky or even a quick slide cannot overcome...
  14. ripock

Do ukulele players have favorite key signatures, for ease of playing?

I always play in E. Why? Because it is fairly far away from C and that placates my contrarian need. Because I can. When I was playing woodwinds I never would have chosen to play a key with four sharps. However with the ukulele the fretboard takes care of all that automatically. Because I...
  15. ripock

Chord Namer Questions

fair enough. I was just curious.
  16. ripock

Strings Perry's Octave Strings (GCEA)

Thanks. I like dark strings, and I just can't lie. I'll keep on searching then.
  17. ripock

Chord Namer Questions

That's fine, but how are you using it? It is just a garden variety sus2 chord which is ubiquitious and famous for being that ambiguous sound between major and minor. But you want to call it an add9 chord (sans the mediant degree). There must be something about the "9" that appeals to you. So...
  18. ripock

Bella Notte - from Disney’s Lady And The Tramp

We need an Aristoc(r)ats thread devoted to the Disney production, the infamous and ineffable joke, and Guthrie Govan's band.
  19. ripock

How large is your Ukeverse?

My ukeverse is rather confined. I do frequent this forum but I have never had any accounts on any social media platform, I don't have a cell phone, and I certainly would never consent to engaging in an hour long podcast about ukuleles...or anything, for that matter. I just like to play. I do...
  20. ripock

my ukulele progress

I don't know the song, so I have no reference point but I enjoyed the music on its own merit. I was expecting a simian serenade but I was still pleased with the picking.
Top Bottom