Search results

1. socal16

Location, please

I like to know where people are from yet most members don’t put a location in their account info. I’m from beautiful Altadena California in the foothills of the San Gabriel mountains near the Rose Bowl. Don’t you want to know where people are located? Doug
  2. socal16

***SOLD*** KoAloha Opio KCO-02 long neck concert

Hello UU members… This KoAloha Opio long neck concert has a concert body with a tenor scale neck for added space on the fretboard. It is made of very attractive solid acacia front, back and sides with a light gloss finish and koaloha geared tuners. It is dated January 2020. It has a really...
  3. socal16

Pono MS question

I’m thinking of buying this used Pono. Do you think the “2” means it is a second?
  4. socal16

At what age did you get your first uke?

I was about 12 when my mother took me to the music store and bought me a baritone uke. After a few years it went into the closet and stayed there for about 40 years while I had guitars.. I regretfully traded it for a guitar which I subsequently sold. I bought my second uke about seven years...
  5. socal16

Bore oil for fretboards

I have been using Roche-Thomas premium bore oil on ukulele fretboards when changing strings. My understanding is that it is superior to lemon oil in conditioning fretboards. It is plant based and not mineral oil. Any thoughts?
  6. socal16

Fret sprout remedy…

Hi All, If you have fret sprout from a dry fretboard, will it reverse if properly humidified? How long would it take, if at all? Would it make more sense to file fret ends (and then properly humidify)?
  7. socal16

Upgrading my tenor…

i currently have a Kala KA-TG which is a gloss mahogany laminate (the first uke I bought about 7 years ago) and I have the opportunity to buy a PonoMT for $200. I haven’t seen it other than pics and the seller says no cracks or dings. Sounds like a good deal to me. Any opinions? Thanks.
  8. socal16

My new Ohana…

I just ordered a Ohana solid hog long neck soprano from Mim and I’m really looking forward to it. Anyone have one of these and what do you think of it?
  9. socal16

Waiting for monitor approval…

I am getting this message on postings. Anyone else have this message?
  10. socal16

Top layer of laminate.. any difference in sound?

With same maker, does the sound differ with different laminate top layer (mahogany, mango, Koa etc) or is it just for aesthetics?
  11. socal16

I did a dummm thing

I was restringing a tenor with some nice Worth Clears LG and as I went to trim the A string at the tuner I carelessly snipped the E string and it whacked my hand. I had some Martin fluorocarbons and just replaced the E string so far. It didn’t feel too good but I felt worse about screwing up a...
  12. socal16

What age for a child to get a uke?

Hello. My granddaughter is 1.5 years old and loves music. I was thinking of getting her something like a pink dolphin soprano to play with. Is she too young? My mother bought me a baritone uke when I was about 10 or so (wish I still had it!!). Thanks for any input. Doug
  13. socal16

Mainland tenor questions

Hello. Any recommendations of mahogany or red cedar? Gloss or matte? Thanks
  14. socal16

Used Martin T1K or new Mainland Red Cedar tenor?

Both are about the same price with the Martin having a peeling decal and some marks on the back. I haven’t tried either one and only seen the Martin in photos. Thanks for any input.
  15. socal16

Near new Cordoba 15cm

Do you think $55 is a good deal. I'm a newby with some previous guitar experience. Thanks.
  16. socal16

Greetings from Los Angeles

Actually I live in Altadena (LA County). I took some ukulele lessons from a couple of Hawaiian young ladies recently and had to go buy a uke right away. I got a Kala KA-TG and now I want a concert size. I'm totally hooked. This is such a great site and thanks for all the good resources...
Top Bottom