Search results

1. M

KOA fretboard care

I have to admit that I am a huge fan of koa fretboards on ukes, but they discolour with use and I wonder about how to best care for them. Mine are on a white label Kamaka and an early KoAloha. I have a few steel string guitars with ebony fretboards that I sometimes condition with mineral oil...
  2. M

Murphy Oil Soap

I have some Murphy Oil Soap in the house and wonder if this is useful for cleaning a uke. Google suggests that guitar players find it very useful for cleaning unfinished fretboards and electric guitars, but couldn't find info for ukes. Specifically : 1) I prefer koa fretboards and they darken...
  3. M

NOUD - is it ok?

I thought that I had more and better ukes than I ever wanted. But after four years of absence from Hawaii the air made me all giddy and as I browsed the uke stores I lost sanity and got an old Kiwaya taropatch. Back at the hotel as I looked at it in better light I noticed little gap under the...
  4. M

Martin C1K bookmatch

On FB I noticed a picture of Martin C1K which looks like single piece. When I did Google search other pictures suggest two piece but possibly not bookmatched. They all look kinda hideous. When I checked for T1K pictures they are more obvious 2 piece and a bit better looking but still I would not...
  5. M

Vintage uke tonewoods

I came across this article that describes some early signature ukes for the stars of 100 years ago. There were quite a few that were made of birch, and some of whitewood (tulip tree). I think many early Gibson mandolins were also made of birch, and this is still a popular wood for laminates. So...
  6. M

Flight TUSL vs Enya Nova for travel

I had to leave my travel uke in another country and am now looking for cheap alternative to take to Oahu for Kanikapila. So far I have Flight TUSL on my radar or an Enya Nova standard size. I can get the Enya for nice price as I think they are upgrading the line and pushing old stock out, which...
  7. M

Ukulele Friend store

On FB I have come across an "Ukulele Friend" store in Honolulu that looks impressive and seems to be well connected to the community. As I have booked a trip to Oahu this winter I am contemplating to make an appointment for a visit. But my time there will be very limited and cost of trip is high...
  8. M

Sweetwater - music industry jobs

Today I got email from Sweetwater inviting me to apply for a job there. At a younger age I would have loved to work in the music industry, but these days are gone. Here's a link to what they offer...
  9. M

Uke Jam/Club Regina, Saskatchewan jam

Regina, Saskatchewan Kanikapila. Everyone is invited to attend! Always on second Sunday of the month.
  10. M

Top separating

The area behind the bridge of my white label Lili'u has been a bit rough and today I noticed that the top has separated at the back. Unfortunately my local luthier has retired in May and I am not aware of other repair person in town. Is this something that can be fixed by someone who is totally...
  11. M

Guild Prototype Concert Uke on Reverb

There is a unique Guild concert uke for sale on Reverb. This is likely a unique build and probably almost 10 years old. Priced way too high for a player and probably targeted to Guild collectors, but here it is...
  12. M

Jazz Uke Workshop with Marcy Marxer

This is a 3 session workshop on Zoom, starting July 11 https://www.tickettailor.com/events/otbanjocmi/938721
  13. M

Unstable Uke?

I have owned my low G solid wood uke for at least 7 years now and it tended to stay in tune for a long time. I used oasis soundhole humidifiers and they seemed to do the job. However, in the previous winter I noticed some fret sprout and the low G had terrible buzz above the 9th fret. So I...
  14. M

Rebel Factory Tour Location

I have a uke friend who is travelling in Thailand now and I suggested she visit the Rebel Factory for a tour and maybe pick up a mango uke for local price. However finding the place using Google is a challenge. With some investigation I figured out that the address is shared with the Baan Uke...
  15. M

Which uke builders use local woods?

There is a thread about "dream ukes" where I could not answer the question right away but it made me think about what appeals to me about uke brands. For one, we have a global economy and the big brands that have some large anonymous labour force somewhere, and source and ship their materials...
  16. M

Aklot 5-string thumbs up

More than a year ago they sold Aklot ukes on Amazon for a price that was so low I was not sure if this was a toy or not. But many people here liked them so I ordered one for a dear uke playing relative who loves it. We finally had a chance to travel the long distance for Xmas visit and I had a...
  17. M

Strings for traditional tenor tuning

I have looked at some old Martin catalogues, and while for standard and concert ukes a D tuning is indicated at least into the 60s if not 70s, they say that tenor will be strung with heavy gut strings one fifth below. So that suggests re-entrant EAC#F#. This is intriguing and as I have no idea...
  18. M

intermediate deep-body tenor?

I have played my Gretsch low-G tenor for several years now with the same strings re[placing them as they break, and was thinking about getting a different set of strings even though I like the ones that are on right now. But as I am playing it I also realize that as it is my first decent uke...
  19. M

Aquila Red WOUND G string

The Aquila Red low G set by default comes with a "wound red" string, but I can't find a description of what the heck this is supposed to be. Is it a red string with a silver winding, or a red string with some kind of red winding, or something else? Has anyone used these and can comment on how...
  20. M

Low G LaBella vs Romero low G sets

I am contemplating trying some new strings on my low G performance uke. For several years I have enjoyed Nylguts with red low G but I think that when the red breaks I want to put on a new set and try something different. There seems to be a lot of love for the polished brass low G that is...
Top Bottom