Search results

1. M

Another string gone.

I heard this happened before with carbon strings. Nylgut may last longer. Cost of single new string may not be good value so get a whole set. Keep some old strings around for emergency replacement.
  2. M

Is there a way to edit an existing arrangement of a song?

For tabs guitar pro is a potent editor.
  3. M

KoAloha Factory Special Pricing on the Secondary Market

I visited this store twice to try out ukes at my recent visit to Honolulu. They have a huge selection of ukes and friendly staff. I didn't notice any factory specials in the store though. Maybe they don't have many these days. Koaloha production is quite high though, according to Brian they...
  4. M

Question About Fly Me To The Moon

The arc means that you hold the note and if you compare notation with the two tabs the melody tab plays around the long notes on some instances and the one with chords just plays chords through the long notes. So you can mix it up as you like. Mandolin players often use a trill technique for...
  5. M

Question About Fly Me To The Moon

What symbol do you think is hammer on? Looks pretty straightforward, though the TuffUke tab could be improved with indicator on when to pluck or when to strum multiple strings at once.
  6. M

KoAloha Factory Special Pricing on the Secondary Market

I was on factory tour a couple of weeks ago and they now all have laser etched wooden labels. There were not really any "factory specials" available in the showroom any more. Instead they now have ukes with unique decorations such as engraved pickguard for visitors that are sold at higher price...
  7. M

New Oli' line on HMS

Thanks for the background. Sounds almost like it will be a HMS house brand we will see if they put them in other stores.
  8. M

Low G Strings

Look at the specs at Aquila website and note the differences. What is better for you only you can decide. Strings are cheap so get both sets, compare, and report which one you prefer.
  9. M

Low G tuning

In another thread there is discussion of d'addario carbon set where plain low G is a whoppin 0.041.
  10. M

Low G Black (or even clear) Nonwound Nylon Low G?

These strings are red due to the copper added and not clear or black.
  11. M

Lanikai handmade on Oahu - I never knew!

There are some threads about this. I think may have been Kanile'a.
  12. M

comparing soprano weight list

I have two Enya Nova Mini that feel very heavy, more than my tenors. Unfortunately they are at my office and can't weigh them. But if someone else has one please add to the list.
  13. M

Strings Zero sustain - just A string on Tenor

The tension chart for this set shows that A has higher tension, and this should make it project more than the other strings and not less. As these are quite thick strings maybe the nut slot is too tight, so tune it down a bit and see if you can lift it out of the nut easily or if it is stuck in...
  14. M

New tuners for a Kamaka

I was at factory tour a couple of weeks ago and they had a board there where tuners from different times were mounted with the years so when a repair comes in they could easily identify the vintage from tuners used. That went up to 2000 with the friction tuners. Maybe after that they started...
  15. M

New tuners for a Kamaka

With a call to Kamaka you could have got the UPT replacements they use in current ukes. I think that the friction tuners were used until 2000, so it's interesting to see them on a fairly new uke.
  16. M

The Tenor is King

I started out with tenor because in the store they told me that's the size for guys. I still take my tenors to solo performance as one is six string and the other linear but at home and uke circle I only play re-entrant concert. I wonder how many other people just get pushed to the tenor by...
  17. M

Recommendations for strings for D-tuning for a soprano scale ukulele

Probably all strings labelled as soprano/concert will be happy to be tuned up to D on the standard scale.
  18. M

Is "cowboy chords" a derogatory term?

Nope it refers to the basic simple country and bluegrass music with no more than three basic chords and hauntingly simple melodies. Before they had all that Texas Swing and jazzy stuff and when cowboys used horses and not helicopters.
  19. M

Issue with baby bari string?

The specs show these as really thick, but would they not be more slack and lumpy on shorter concert scale. Would be nice to have them with high D for tenor.
  20. M

Low G tuning

Yes the plain red is included with several sets such as the AGAQ, but the wound red comes with the red set for some strange reason. I thought that you referred to a plain low G that was not red.
Top Bottom