Search results

1. Lillymo

Where to buy a ukulele in Atlanta GA?

A friend who lives in Atlanta bought a ukulele at Ross Dress For Less for $15 and she doesn't understand why it won't stay in tune. I told her that in most instances, a $15 ukulele Is something you hang on the wall, not something you play. Where should she go in Atlanta to buy a ukulele? A good...
  2. Lillymo

Low G for Rebel Mango Double Cream Soprano?

I've dreamed of a small low G ukulele so I've tried it on a few sopranos. The results haven't been great. I just got a Rebel Mango Double Cream Matte Soprano and I'm impressed by the fullness of the sound and the sustain. It occurred to me it might be a good candidate. Would love to hear from...
  3. Lillymo

Has anybody played KoAloha and Rebel Mango ukuleles side by side?

I had an opportunity to play a KoAloha Mango Concert in direct comparison with a KoAloha Koa Concert and was surprised how much I liked the mango. Knowing that Rebel ukuleles are made in the same factory as KoAloha's Opio line, I'm curious how KoAloha and Rebel Mango ukes compare. Of course...
  4. Lillymo

How can my ukulele group set up a virtual play-along?

After attending a virtual cocktail party using Zoom (highly recommended!) I wondered if it would be possible to do a jam online with my ukulele group. There's a delay with Zoom that makes playing together impossible and the sound quality is okay for speech, but not so good for music. A friend...
  5. Lillymo

Seeler Ukuleles?

Anybody know anything about Seeler Ukuleles? They're made in Hawaii by Cody Seeler. I haven't found much online... a handful of Youtube videos posted by a store in Japan; a not particularly active Facebook page; an expired Reverb listing for a nice looking no-frills soprano. I'd be interested...
  6. Lillymo

[B]How do you create a bold face thread title?[/B]

I've started a few threads and can't figure out how to create a title that will show up in bold face in a forum list. I know how to do it in the body of a post, and my titles appear in bold when you open the thread but they're never bold in a list of threads. It seems like 99.9% of forum...
  7. Lillymo

WTB Pineapple Ukulele Hard Case

I'm looking for a new or used hard case for a soprano size pineapple ukulele, preferably one with a classic pineapple shape. Something like the Ohana, without the hefty price tag. Please send a message or comment here. thanks!
  8. Lillymo

Birch Favilla??

I have a 1949 mahogany Favilla soprano which I love. I'm curious about their birch sopranos, painted or unpainted and haven't located any videos or sound samples. Anybody who owns one or played one have any thoughts? How do they compare to the mahogany Favillas?
  9. Lillymo

Zepeda Ukuleles??

Has anybody ordered a ukulele directly from Guitarras Zepeda and had it shipped to the US? I've read some enthusiastic reviews on TripAdvisor, but they were written by people who travelled to Nicaragua and placed an order in person. Many of the comments on the UU forum are about a US seller...
  10. Lillymo

Mainland Spruce Top

I haven't been able to find much information on Mainland Spruce Top ukuleles. There're a handful of videos on Youtube posted by dealers but as sellers, their comments are always going to be positive. I'd love to hear thoughts/reviews from owners and would be especially interested in a sound...
  11. Lillymo

Clay humidifier smells like mildew!?!

Clay humidifier smells like mildew!?![/b] I have several in case humidifiers, the little plastic pots containing clay that you soak in water. I was surprised to discover that one of them smells like mildew, even though the the clay looks pristine without any signs of contamination. This...
  12. Lillymo

Strings for a vintage baritone?

For owner/operators of vintage baritones, what strings do you like? Mine is a Vega Arthur Godfrey Standard Baritone made in the early 50s. It's solid mahogany, has a 19" scale and friction tuners. It stays in tune and the intonation is excellent. thanks!
  13. Lillymo

Flea serial numbers? colors? dates?

I bought my Flea second hand and I'd like to know when it was made. Is there a list of production years with serial numbers? I've searched UU and the Fleamarket Music Bulletin Board - I found a thread on Fleamarket with numbers but no dates. I'm also curious about how long my color was...
  14. Lillymo

How long do unused metal wound strings keep?

I don't change strings very often. Are metal wound low G strings effected by exposure to air and humidity? Is it better to purchase them shortly before using them? I suspect proper storage can make a difference - any tips? Thanks!
  15. Lillymo

Wound Low G on a Longneck / Super Soprano

I have a Cocobolo Super Soprano on the way. String options were Aquila Nylgut or Worth Brown and I'm not a fan of either. A friend uses clear fluorocarbon on his Cocobolos. They sound great, and I'm a clear fluoro-phant so that's what I'll try first when I swap out the strings. I recently put a...
  16. Lillymo

Kanile'a DIY build your own ukulele kit

KoAloha DIY build your own ukulele kit I was in a very nice ukulele store over the weekend and they had a build-your-own ukulele kit for sale made by KoAloha. I was told that assembly was fool proof. They had a sample that one of the guys in the store put together. It sounded and felt pretty...
  17. Lillymo

Soprano ukulele, baritone tuning!?

I just bought a Favilla Soprano in nice condition. I suspected it hadn't been tuned in a very long time so when I put new Martin M600s on it, I initially tuned it to DGBE. Huge surprise: it sounded really great! Lovely tone, lots of volume. The only issue was the sound was a little bit floppy...
  18. Lillymo

Strings for Favilla Soprano - suggestions?

I just bought a mahogany soprano Favilla, best guess date: mid to late 1940s. I don't think it had been played in a very long time and despite cautious tuning, I broke a string. No big surprise - I knew I was destined to change the strings in the near future. The strings that were on it were...
  19. Lillymo

Who makes Pono's open geared tuners?

Anybody know who manufacturers Pono's open geared ukulele tuners? Thanks! Photo: Pono MC (Mahogany Concert)
  20. Lillymo

Low G Friendly Soprano

Any recommendations for soprano ukuleles that sound good with low G? i've read the arguments against it, so I'd rather not revisit that debate. There's at least one manufacturer (Kamoa) that ships some of their soprano ukes with Low G. There are also Low G strings made specifically for...
Top Bottom