Search results

1. KohanMike

Ordered another custom Bruce Wei thinline.

The thinline tenor uke I had Bruce Wei make me last year of all solid acacia with glossy finish turned out to have rather limited projection and resonance because he usually makes the top on the thick side, and the glossy finish (the spalted maple he made me later I asked to thin the top and...
  2. KohanMike

Tenor ukes on eBay from Japan are three times the price then here.

I check eBay for tenor ukes most every night before I go to bed. At least a couple times a week there are listing from Japanese sellers of used ukes that are sometimes three times the price of the same new ones sold in US. I don't get it, do they really think someone is going pay those prices...
  3. KohanMike

Color Strings Failed Me

I recently put a set of Fremont black fluorocarbon strings on one of my tenor thinline ukes, and a set of Worth brown fluorocarbon on another one of them. In both sets, with one hanging on the wall for a couple of weeks, and one I used last week that I left in the case, the E string broke. I've...
  4. KohanMike

Updated Bass Uke Collection

Seems not very many people look at the bass forum, so I thought I would post this here. As some of you may know, I've been dealing with nerve damage to my neck spinal cord from radiation treatments for Hodgkins lymph cancer in 1973, making it difficult to play many of my bass ukes, except the...
  5. KohanMike

New bass uke day.

Friday I picked up the bass uke Eric's Guitar worked on and Pat Wilkins painted. As always, it came out great. Eric made the cream pickguard and truss rod cover, added cream Strat knobs, changed the wonky floating bridge/piezo pickup with a fully adjustable all metal bridge with a piezo in each...
  6. KohanMike

Getting Hadean bass uke mod crazy.

Aa some of you may know, I'm strong with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). Before I decided to use only RondoMusic Hadean violin/Hofner bass ukes, I had various short scale guitars converted to mini bass guitars. When I saw the Rickenbacker 325 22.75" scale Fire Glo reissue a few years ago, I...
  7. KohanMike

Can't decide on a stick-on sound hole. Poll: round or ƒ?

I have a stick-on round sound hole on my cherry veneer bass uke so that it would fit in with the ukuleles in my group. Then I watched a video with a stand up bass, which made me wonder if using ƒ hole stickers would be good instead to simulate a standup bass. I've been wafting back and forth and...
  8. KohanMike

Mixer Discussion

Since there's no forum for amps, mixers and such, I thought I would start a mixer thread. My uke group of 30-50 people will have gigs where there's no P/A or even electricity, so I like to be ready with the necessary wireless gear. I recently bought a Zoom R16 digital mixer/recorder that can be...
  9. KohanMike

New Uke Day NUD - Custom Bruce Wei Spalted Maple

Here is the custom spalted maple uke made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam. Came out great, a real beauty and plays so well because I had him thin the top a little more than he usually does. It's a thinline, had him follow the dimensions and curved back of the Kala Travel that always sounds so good. It...
  10. KohanMike

Next Bass Uke design

I was planning another bass uke to be purple with gold hardware and call it a NOLAlele, but the color scheme related to Mardi Gras was not knocking me out. Today I hung out at Eric's Guitar Repair Shop and mentioned it to Eric, he suggested a dark blue. I came home and did a mockup and I like...
  11. KohanMike

Any pie thread.

The apple pie thread prompted me to do an any pie thread because I didn't want to hijack the apple pie one with my pumpkin pie. The only pie I've ever made, which I make every Thanksgiving, is a very easy pumpkin vegan cream cheese pie in a ready made graham cracker crust. I buy a can of...
  12. KohanMike

Answer to a post on the Facebook UBass Freaks group

=AZUI706deTHURWlBGTFChe3fZUNClczwfwE5aBX8NxqpXNop3VN6RyAikXfIoHXLi8ALu8qq77Bmgkfq_OMCSYBdg9AUcpUk6g1f-uT2j7-dNrataUe_HXbOIrLRvWCteB_4Wjxl4ZyGGm6Abj-hD563&tn=R]-R']net Hattan asked: "I got a kala mahogany ubass for my birthday. My plan is to put some flat wounds on it. What are the issues I might...
  13. KohanMike

NUFD (new uke finish day)

As I've mentioned recently, I now only play thinline tenor ukes because of nerve damage to my neck spinal cord. When I first decided to do that a few months ago, I looked for a Kala Travel tenor cutaway, but none were out there. So I bought two Lanikai Thinlines A/E, curly maple and bocoté...
  14. KohanMike

Ordered another harmonica mic.

Years ago I bought a Shaker Mad-Cat harmonica mic, which has served me very well playing with my uke group. I play blues for a couple songs in our constantly changing set lists and always hold the harmonica in my hands, never in a rack. The Mad-Cat is very compact and one of the things that...
  15. KohanMike

Country awards bass player with Hofner bass.

I was surprised when I watched the Peoples Choice Country Music awards that one of the bass players was using a Hofner violin style bass rather than the far more common country band Fender Precision or Jazz bass. To a slight degree, it justifies my decision to only use a violin style bass uke.
  16. KohanMike

Passed on the Revelator for a custom Bruce Wei spalted maple.

I've been eyeing the Kala/Howlett Revelator thinline tenor uke since I learned of it a couple months ago. I looked over the various $1499 models, liked the figuring of the Korina wood with contrast grain kind of like spalted, but none of them grabbed me. The latest batch has even less...
  17. KohanMike

Update of my bass uke collection.

Thought I would show the state of my bass uke collection. I'm about to have two more bass ukes done by Eric's Guitar Shop (mods) and Wilkins Guitar (paint) to bring my collection to eight, the gold and red ones. Plus I'm considering two more down the line, the purple and grey ones.
  18. KohanMike

July 4th Food choices

What do you plan for food on July 4th? For lunch I was going to Bao Dim Sum House in Los Angeles with a friend, but she cancelled, which I might do on my own. Aside from that, I'm on the 5th floor of my apartment building, from the balcony I can see portions of 8 fireworks shows around the city...
  19. KohanMike

NBUD Hadean Hofner style bass uke mod

Here's another new bass uke. I wanted it to look a little like a Fender Olympic White/Tortoise, so I had it modified by Eric's Guitar and finished by Pat Wilkins. Eric used parts I provided; Korean fully intonation adjustable piezo bridge with individual pickups in each saddle, plus a riser for...
  20. KohanMike

New Bass Uke Day, Hadean Violin Style Mod

Here's my newest RondoMusic.com Hadean 21" scale bass uke mod. I wanted a finish that looked like the ukuleles in my group. At first I sanded down the original black finish, but the wood had no figuring. Then I went online and after some searching, found a thin, real cherry wood self stick...
Top Bottom