Search results

1. KohanMike

What microphones do you use to record your uke/voice while playing?

I use a Neewer USB mic kit I bought from Amazon a few years ago for $45.98. I record audio with it while I sing and play my ukulele on my MacStudio using GarageBand that comes with the Mac. If I also want to record video, I use QuickTime Player that also comes with a Mac.
  2. KohanMike

Do I cut my losses? (Unsatisfactory customized ukuleles)

The reason I asked for the luthier name is if it was Bruce Wei (which it is not), who I've used for almost 10 years, I would offer to step in on her behave since I have a very good relationship with him.
  3. KohanMike

Luthier List

I added one, Bruce Wei in Vietnam.
  4. KohanMike

Group project! Reviving the Luthiers List

I'm in. I added my go to luthier, Bruce Wei in Vietnam, who I've used since 2013, making me 14 tenor and bass ukes, the vast majority came out very good and the price is always right. Eric's Guitar Shop, the place I use for modifications and repair here in Van Nuys, CA, says that Bruce is a...
  5. KohanMike

rechargeable electronic clip-on tuners

Correction, the Nexxus 360 has a USB micro recharge port.
  6. KohanMike

I got the answer from D'Addario; ±3 cents, which seems higher. In looking up accuracy, ±5 is when it can be heard. To me, my tuning is good.
  7. KohanMike

I haven't found it anywhere so I just emailed D'Addario for that.
  8. KohanMike

The Hawaiian steel guitar changed American music. Can one man keep that tradition alive?

From what I've read, Rickenbacker invented the lap steel in1932, which was picked up by country groups. Then during the San Francisco World Fair in 1939 where there was a Hawaiian plaza, the players from Hawaii picked up on the lap steel.
  9. KohanMike

After trying a number of tuners, I've settled on the D'Addario Nexxus 360. It has the brightest screen of any I've used, USB recharge, rotates in any direction, very accurate. It's $29.95 and I'll pay that all day.
  10. KohanMike

Enya mahogany ukes

My best go to uke for ten years was a recommendation by Mim, a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE for $370, solid cedar top, laminate acacia koa body. I compared it side-by-side to a $1200 Kamaka and KoAloha and it held its own. I now use a Kala Travel tenor a/e cutaway that has a solid spruce top and laminate...
  11. KohanMike

Enya mahogany ukes

The way too tell if the wood is solid or laminate is if the grain pattern on the outside matches the pattern on the inside. Also on the edge of the sound hole depending on if it is not colored over.
  12. KohanMike

If Taylor were to produce a ukulele, the USA made elite series by Kala would be it.

I played guitar for almost 50 years when I switched to ukulele. After the first year of going through 16 under $200 ukes, I called Mim, who I had met at NAMM, and asked for an under $1000 recommendation cutaway with electronics. She said the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top, acacia koa laminate...
  13. KohanMike

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

If you use the Media icon above and paste the YouTube web address (URL), the ads will not show here.
  14. KohanMike

Trigger thumb anyone?

I have trigger on middle right hand finger, which I've let go for a long time, but recently it started to hurt and intefere a bit playing bass uke. I scheduled the surgery for April 30, simple procedure I'm told and can use the finger very soon after.
  15. KohanMike

More posts on UU.

Being retired for over ten years and keeping occupied with the uke, I visit the New Posts UU forum a couple times a day. Usually there are a couple pages of them, but lately I see more often now, that there are three pages of new posts. To me that means there are more new members, more people...
  16. KohanMike

How many ukes have you got? (expanded poll)

I now have six tenor ukes and fourteen bass ukes, but since 2013, I've gone through sixty-three.
  17. KohanMike

Timms Traveling Ukulele -Update

I apologize for going on a tangent and hijacking the thread.
  18. KohanMike

Obviously I shouldn't have asked, so I retract.
  19. KohanMike

Please name the luthier, it's important that we know who not to do deal with. I've had a number of custom ukes and bass ukes made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam and he's done very good work. One recent one, the voice was soft and realized it was because the top was thicker and I asked for a glossy...
  20. KohanMike

How many ukuleles do you have?

In my first year playing uke, mid 2013, I went through sixteen, then culled them down to eight. Early last year I found that with nerve damage to my neck spinal cord from radiation treatments for Hodgkins Disease years ago, I'm comfortable only playing thinline ukes, so I went with six; two...
Top Bottom