Recent content by necessaryrooster

1. N

Decision paralysis deciding which Uke to buy next

Just learn a simple song that you can play fluidly. Even if all you're doing is strumming C, G, Am, F with the island strum. It sounds good and gives you an idea of how the instrument plays, and it sounds like music so it sounds like you know what you're doing even if you feel like you don't...
  2. N

Decision paralysis deciding which Uke to buy next

I'm with you on this. I started with a $120 Kala, and once I knew it was something I was going to stick with and wanted to keep doing, I took the plunge and got a Koaloha, maybe a month into learning how to play. I think I improved faster on the Koaloha than I did the Kala, because it not only...
  3. N

Alternate Tuning Contest!

Hey everybody! Do you play your tenor in Bb? Your soprano in D? Your baritone in A? Drop F? Some other crazy tuning even further off the beaten track? This is the contest for you! Rules: Entries must be embedded in posts. Use whatever platform you wish to record on as long as you can embed...
  4. N

How large is your Ukeverse?

This is the only kind of "social media" I'm interested in. No intrusive ads, no "curated content," no algorithms trying to steal your attention and push engagement; the newest posts are on top and that's it. And the most polarizing thing we discuss here is high g vs low g! I also don't have a...
  5. N

Strings Perry's Octave Strings (GCEA)

Worth it imo, but I also don't go through strings quickly or change them as often as I probably should. You could probably try making your own set out of some guitar strings; the gauges are listed on the site and Perry posted them in the thread here.
  6. N

Price Drop Risa Tenor Strat and Harmony Baritone

Price drop. Willing to go halvsies on a hardshell for the Risa with any prospective buyer (they're 119 Euro).
  7. N

Baritone GCEA

These are great. I have them on my Kamaka HF-3L (19" scale) and it sounds incredible.
  8. N

Price Drop Risa Tenor Strat and Harmony Baritone

Weekend bump. Open to reasonable offers.
  9. N

Please, somebody buy this

https://reverb.com/item/80341992-1928-martin-ak-koa-flatback-mandolin-video-fresh-work-ready-to-go Anybody play mandolin? $1600 for a 1928 all koa Martin seems like a great deal.
  10. N

Uke class question: I'd like to hear from other teachers, if possible.

It's an interesting topic. I wonder if there are any righties out there that play left-handed for the fretting advantage.
  11. N

Uke class question: I'd like to hear from other teachers, if possible.

What's wrong with having a lefty in class? Having to convert an instrument, or are they harder to teach/learn?
  12. N

Koaloha factory tour unveils some interesting things to come….

Wow, finally doing a baritone! I wonder why now after all these years? ....am I the only person that hates the LP/telecaster shape...? It's always disappointing that everyone seems to gravitate towards it. Never been a fan of the look of cutaways on acoustics, either. Still, looks like lots of...
  13. N

Strap buttons...where to find wood, possibly koa, or other unique or premium buttons?

If you want to get real fancy you can buy some from Bruce Petros: https://petrosguitarshop.com/collections/all/strap-button
  14. N

Zager guitar objective review

Makes sense. In all of the Zager threads I looked at, there was at least one person saying something to the effect of "oh, this again? Just read the other threads." They had nice things to say about their picks, though.
  15. N

Zager guitar objective review

Not sure that was a real person...new account, only one post and it's to defend Zager? Same with the one saying the Zager plays better than your Martin. Seems fishy. I popped over to the Acoustic Guitar Forum and they've got a lot to say about Zager....none of it good. They don't like them over...
Top Bottom