Recent content by Canada Jim

1. Canada Jim

How do I determine which key(s) I can sing in?

I just play a few keys till I find one that's comfortable. If I try G and it's too low, I'll go for A. If it's still too low, I'll try B and so on.
  2. Canada Jim

Season 636 - One for sorrow...

WHEN I'M GONE -Phil Ochs, learned from Magpie: Terry Leonino and Greg Artzner Thanks for hosting Bob. Phil Oches wrote this song, and it was popularised by the folk duo Magpie.
  3. Canada Jim

Do ukulele players have favorite key signatures, for ease of playing?

C, F, G and A Am and Dm These are my favourite open (first position) keys. For swingy stuff with closed chords, I don't have a favourite.
  4. Canada Jim

The Hawaiian steel guitar changed American music. Can one man keep that tradition alive?

I have a number of friends who play steel guitars. The "steel" refers to the slide, made of steel, glass, ceramic. . . My friend Al plays both pedal steel and acoustic lap steel, in his case an old REgal resophonic. My friend Jimmy is playing pedal steel here My .son Darcy's bandmate...
  5. Canada Jim

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

I'll admit to doing this one as well RM. Not quite up to your standards, but I've learned to like it.
  6. Canada Jim

seasonistas play other instruments

Mitch just shared a Jerry Lee Lewis song It Was The Whiskey Talking Not Me in Del's Love Your Larynx Season. I'm too late to enter this one, so I found an old video I made a few years back (You can tell by my haircut that it was during COVID lockdown) This is Just The Whiskey Talkin' by the...
  7. Canada Jim

SOTU 635: Castles

Well, I'm gonna opt for the "palace" option that Sabine has given us. Maggie tells me that a palace is definitely NOT the same as a castle, and Google seems to agree, but Sabine is the boss this week and she said it's OK. Google says: The main reason a castle is built is for protection and...
  8. Canada Jim

SOTU 635: Castles

THE GYPSY DAVEY - P.D. This is the first song I ever sang on stage with The Rovers Three in 1960 at a Boy Scout talent show in the basement of Binkley Church. We had learned all three chords and were bona fide Folkies.
  9. Canada Jim

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

As I stated in the first post, the instrument Tiny Tim is playing is not a 12-string guitar, but a 10-string tiple. The tiple is usualy tuned gG-cCc-eEe-AA, so can be played by a uke player with no learning curve. One thing I found odd about this photo is that Tiny, a southpaw, is playing the...
  10. Canada Jim

Season 634 - Love Your Larynx!

Thanks for a super season Del. Hope to see (and hear) you in a few minutes.
  11. Canada Jim

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

12. Canada Jim

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

I am a Willie Nelson fan for sure, but that was a terrible pairing and I hated the song.
  13. Canada Jim

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

Here is a strange pairing - Bob Dylan in a Davey Crocket hat and Tiny Tim playing a right-handed tiple. Was Tiny ambidextrous? This is an early PR shot from the mid fifties, the only other shot I've seen of him playing right handed.
  14. Canada Jim

Violin style friction tuners

I own an RS Williams banjo, made in Southern Ontario. It was in poor shape when I got it, but I had it restored by my friend, Teilhard Frost. It now has a goat head, Nylgut strings and wooden violin style tuning pegs. They gave me a bit of trouble at first, but a bit of fiddle resin helped to...
  15. Canada Jim

Today's Chuckle

A priest, an imam, and a rabbit all decide to donate blood. When asked their blood types, the priest said, "I'm a type AB." The imam said, "I'm a type B." The rabbit said, "I'm a typo"
Top Bottom