Recent content by eternal tinkerer

1. E

Please, somebody buy this

Neat sound port. I remember coming across it on the Kimo website and liking it there too.
  2. E

https://www.kimoukulele.com/2024/04/19/koa-and-walnut-tenor-ukulele/ Reluctantly, I am putting this here. Buy it before I do!
  3. E

Ukes and endangered woods.....shouldn't we care more?

Fine with me. I actually like the look of an ebony fretboard that's not all one color, i.e. black.
  4. E

https://www.kimoukulele.com/2024/04/05/crinkle-curl-koa-custom-tenor-ukulele/ I was going to put this here earlier this morning. It already sold and I'm hardly surprised. It looks so nice!
  5. E

NUD - KoAloha Red Label

Congrats on your latest uke, rhiggie! I have to say that I was tempted by this model a couple years ago, especially while someone had one on Hawaii Craigslist for months and months. Yours has way prettier koa. I'm also a fan of Kamakas and that particular uke certainly has my attention. What a...
  6. E

The Tenor is King

I have to say that as much as I like playing tenor size ukulele, it sounds very much not like a guitar, which has sustain for days and a much larger sound, due both to the scale length and overtones generated by not 4 but 6 strings. To my ears, the same holds true when a baritone ukulele is...
  7. E

The Tenor is King

I started on a tenor. At the time, I knew little about ukulele and the size was what the Hawaiian professionals play. Then I ventured into concert and soprano just to find out what the fuss was all about. Fast forward a few years, I came back to the tenor because the way I like to play seems...
  8. E

Kamaka HF-3?

My thoughts are yes, there have been changes over the last couple of decades and yes, the HF-3 has remained basically the same. The body shape is every so slightly different and the finish - while still lacquer - is different. In the picture attached, the HF-3 on the right was built in 2005...
  9. E

Check out the latest Instagram build picture of a curly koa topped tenor with rope binding by Hank Johnson/Kimo Ukulele. You could be at least tempted to change your opinion!
  10. E

New Uke Day (NUD) Kamaka HF-3 EM

As somebody who has a soft spot for Kamakas, Congrats! All of mine have consistently played so well. Yours likely plays as well and looks oh so good!
  11. E

Can strings be reused?

I sometimes reuse my strings. If I put new strings on a uke and immediately do not like them for that uke, then I may save them for a different uke. The above said, sometimes I start accumulating a lot of "used" strings and sometimes those cut strings don't fit the new application. Then I just...
  12. E

Uke design pet peeves

I think the objective of the tuner orientation is to align the knobs perpendicular to the headstock edge. That said, agreed. Maybe “house” brand planetary tuners (keeping the orange Koaloha knobs) would be a better future alternative?
  13. E

Uke design pet peeves

When "premium wood" as a description is a measure of how it looks and not necessarily how it generates sound.
  14. E

Price Drop M’s Craft MT-258 koa “Monstera” tenor ukulele

I hear ya, Kenn2018. I've seen some pictures of your collection and you have some really, really nice instruments.
Top Bottom