Recent content by DuckyI

1. DuckyI

Wanted Martin (or other) Soprano Ukulele - under $500

Here are two nice luthier options from Rob Collins (Tinguitar) in the UK, coming in at $365 which should allow for shipping to the USA.
  2. DuckyI

How do I determine which key(s) I can sing in?

But it's not even that long ago that we heard a much greater variety of voices on the radio: Nina Simone, Hildegard Knef, Marlena Dietrich, Tina Turner, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, Bing Crosby, Lee Hazelwood, Johnny Cash etc. These are all deep voices, and people didn't have any...
  3. DuckyI

How do I determine which key(s) I can sing in?

I agree that it is a trial and error thing. I generally figure what the top note is in the song in its original key, and then I transpose to make sure it fits my range. I have the same range as you, E2-E4. With two octaves, you sing virtually any tune, excepting those with real vocal acrobatics...
  4. DuckyI

Moore Bettah

I would be really curious to see a MB soprano, if anyone here has one 👀
  5. DuckyI

What microphones do you use to record your uke/voice while playing?

Clipping aside, are you happy with the sound you are getting? Sounds like a mic placement and recording technique issue if so. If you have high dynamic variation, record at a lower level. Use a pop shield. And experiment with different placements. There are lots of other mics that could be...
  6. DuckyI

Moore Bettah

I think there are some owners on this site, yes. Let’s hope they share pictures of their MBs!
  7. DuckyI

Loudest soprano

Is there a source for Kiwaya using Fremont Blacklines as standard? I have heard people repeat it a lot, but my Kiwaya definitely came with black nylon strings. And their website also says they fit ukes with GHS black nylon strings. When I was in Japan, Fremont Blacklines were unknown to the...
  8. DuckyI

Loudest soprano

I personally like Fremont Blacklines for this. Worth Browns will also be a good one to try.
  9. DuckyI

Hello from Walthamstow London

Some nice breweries down there!
  10. DuckyI

Hello from Walthamstow London

Welcome!
  11. DuckyI

Loudest soprano

My mahogany Timms is by far the loudest soprano I've ever played. It's on par with my banjo uke, which gives you a rough idea. The koa Timms I have is a little more subdued by comparison, but still loud for a soprano.
  12. DuckyI

Going down the Japanese Uke rabbit hole

Have a great trip! So many great ukuleles to find. In Tokyo, I really enjoyed TanTan and Ukulele Bird. The low yen makes for some attractive shopping. While you are travelling, Black Cat (kuroneko) is a service that ships any luggage that you don't feel like carrying around to a Japanese...
  13. DuckyI

Daniel Ho Vintage Soprano ʻUkulele by Romero Creations

I’m sure I’ve seen some really nice ones go on here for between $500 to $700.
  14. DuckyI

Daniel Ho Vintage Soprano ʻUkulele by Romero Creations

If I were in the US, and looking for a vintage style soprano, I would keep my $429 in my pocket, save a little more and keep my eyes peeled for a well-priced Martin Style 0….
  15. DuckyI

Are all soprano/concert Sized Harshell Cases made to fit ANY soprano/concert size ukulele?

Older soprano cases were often built using the Martin soprano dimensions (which is on the smaller side), but increasingly cases are roomier to accommodate a wider range of instruments. I suspect a Gator would just about fit a Kamaka but I will let others confirm. Anuenue sopranos probably...
Top Bottom