Recent content by about2

1. about2

Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Hmmm…that spread sheet may exist, but my experience says it probably won’t capture the intangibles that make a string set nice. I look for a set that allow overtones to ring, provide the feel I’m looking for, the bass response I want from my bari, and the flexibility that work well with my old...
  2. about2

Ukulele contest: For Your Ears Only!

What an opportunity! Thank you for putting this together. My contribution is an original piece I wrote for my wife of 47 years. She is an absolute joy. I wrote this piece trying to demonstrate not only the incredible times we continue to share, but also the multi-facets that make her unique...
  3. about2

Issue with baby bari string?

No I didn't and I would be very hesitant to do so as I like to experiment with strings . . . I would not want to make a change that was permanent. I found the strings worked well as they were. I don't have either concert today strung with them. They worked fined . . . intonation was good on...
  4. about2

Issue with baby bari string?

I've placed them on concerts with no issue. I would strings by mail's diagnosis. I prefer them on tenors but they sounded fine on bye my vita uke and RC stc.
  5. about2

Barring seems impossible :(

What helped me was thinking of the bar chord more as pushing up with my thumb and less pushing down with my finger. This was something I heard Brad Bordessa mention in one of his videos. It has helped a lot.
  6. about2

Pickaso bow anyone?

Well, here's a poor man's version:
  7. about2

Pickaso bow anyone?

Hey that's encouraging! I know Guadalupe strings for ukes are all 4 wound. I don't know of others that are like that......are there others?
  8. about2

Pickaso bow anyone?

I'm very intrigued. I just sent them a note asking if it would work on wound strings like a Thomastik..... I'll let you know. If so, I gotta try one.
  9. about2

Pickaso bow anyone?

Saw this and was wondering if anyone has tried it. It's a short "bow" designed for acoustic guitars that gives your instrument a cello-ish vibe. Pretty cool. It says it won't work on nylon strings, but I'm curious if any steel string bari players or perhaps wound string players have tried...
  10. about2

Wanted Looking for "Arpeggio meditations" and "graded repetoire for classical ukulele"

I believe it is for high G. But it works well with either. It’s the picking patterns and dexterity it teaches that are so very helpful. But as recall, his recordings that go along with it are played on a high g.
  11. about2

Wanted Looking for "Arpeggio meditations" and "graded repetoire for classical ukulele"

Those are two wonderful resources. I have found both to be helpful. I spent my first year of playing working daily through Daniel's book. I have since passed it onto my grandson who now is a super player. And Jeff's work I have as a digital copy. I find it both inspiring and challenging...
  12. about2

Kala transit gig bag dimensions?

I contacted them via their web page with a similar question about the tenor transit bag. They answered promptly with the dimensions.
  13. about2

UPDATE: 19" scale baritone on a budget?

Thanks for reposting this video. I remembered watching it and looked for it, but couldn’t find it. I thought it was quite interesting. And it verified what my experience told me but I was unable to identify. I just knew my Favi and Ohana baritone were easier to play than my pono. The...
  14. about2

UPDATE: 19" scale baritone on a budget?

The above offer by counsel1 is quite nice. I love my vintage mahogany bari. The models listed have great reputations. If you are wanting to steer away from a vintage bari, I suggest an Ohana....per Keith above.
  15. about2

Baby Baritone

Pepe's strings are amazing. I've found they especially sound nice on cedar and koa tenors. I've put them on my KoAloha KTM00 and they, like your Pono, ring on forever. The baby bari strings on the KoAloha sound better than many full size baritones I've played, imho. But there is a...
Top Bottom