Looking for Ken Timms Soprano

I have looked at previously sold Ken Timms Sopranos and focusing mainly on the ukuleles made from Cuban mahogany. Whilst we all know Cuban, Honduran and Mexican mahogany are some of the best tonewoods used for ukuleles and guitars and the king of all mahogany been Cuban.

Why does there seem to be a real focus on the colour of Cuban KT,s, what I mean is when its Cuban mahogany the focus and comments seems to be the fact that it's a dark colour. If its Cuban mahogany regardless of colour it's a winner every time and the fact that Cuban can vary in its colour is surely not even a thought.
But there always seems to be a point made if it's a dark one.
Any explanation for this as it does not make any difference what its colour is, its Cuban mahogany it's all good.

I have looked at previously sold Ken Timms Sopranos and focusing mainly on the ukuleles made from Cuban mahogany. Whilst we all know Cuban, Honduran and Mexican mahogany are some of the best tonewoods used for ukuleles and guitars and the king of all mahogany been Cuban.

Why does there seem to be a real focus on the colour of Cuban KT,s, what I mean is when its Cuban mahogany the focus and comments seems to be the fact that it's a dark colour. If its Cuban mahogany regardless of colour it's a winner every time and the fact that Cuban can vary in its colour is surely not even a thought.
But there always seems to be a point made if it's a dark one.
Any explanation for this as it does not make any difference what its colour is, its Cuban mahogany it's all good.
Of course it's all good, but to some of us (I suspect MANY of us), the appearance of the instrument is important as well, and I (and I suspect many others) like the look of the darker mahogany. The Timms sopranos are mostly lighter in color, at least the ones I've seen, and the one listed on eBay right now is darker in color, and looks amazing, IMO. As WELL as being made from Cuban Mahogany.

Of course it's all good, but to some of us (I suspect MANY of us), the appearance of the instrument is important as well, and I (and I suspect many others) like the look of the darker mahogany. The Timms sopranos are mostly lighter in color, at least the ones I've seen, and the one listed on eBay right now is darker in color, and looks amazing, IMO. As WELL as being made from Cuban Mahogany.
Just curious to the reason why the darker colour commands more money by buyers but I guess it adds to the more vintage look so its literally the look.
I play mainly acoustic guitar and ukulele is something I am just starting to get into.
I have an acoustic with cuban back and sides and the colour is a reddish brown not too dark. As I say curious to the reason why based on my findings but thanks.

Just curious to the reason why the darker colour commands more money by buyers but I guess it adds to the more vintage look so its literally the look.
I play mainly acoustic guitar and ukulele is something I am just starting to get into.
I have an acoustic with cuban back and sides and the colour is a reddish brown not too dark. As I say curious to the reason why based on my findings but thanks.
There are not enough Timms on the market to actually determine if a darker one commands more. I suspect if it was a lighter one it would be just as high on the bids. His last one went to a member here for over $1k, a few hundred over previous Timm ukuleles. And Cuban is a rare make for him so if you want one, you bid hard no matter the medium dark or dark color... because if you don't, it is uncertain if there will be another Timms Cuban or if the price will escalate again as those wanting it reassess how much to bid.

There are not enough Timms on the market to actually determine if a darker one commands more. I suspect if it was a lighter one it would be just as high on the bids. His last one went to a member here for over $1k, a few hundred over previous Timm ukuleles. And Cuban is a rare make for him so if you want one, you bid hard no matter the medium dark or dark color... because if you don't, it is uncertain if there will be another Timms Cuban or if the price will escalate again as those wanting it reassess how much to bid.
I agree with this. I think if two Cuban Mahogany Sopranos were both listed at the same time, the darker of the two (or the one with more attractive grain) would likely fetch more money than the lighter one, but that isn't the situation here, and I'm not sure I remember a time when Ken had more than one listed on eBay at a time, although I haven't been following the Timms market for as long as others here, for sure...

Thanks both of you for your comments, I understand now.

I agree with this. I think if two Cuban Mahogany Sopranos were both listed at the same time, the darker of the two (or the one with more attractive grain) would likely fetch more money than the lighter one, but that isn't the situation here, and I'm not sure I remember a time when Ken had more than one listed on eBay at a time, although I haven't been following the Timms market for as long as others here, for sure...
Cuban mahogany instruments are indeed rare. Especially, if they are made with early 20th century reclaimed wood. Savy collectors know this.
In the past, I don't believe any Cuban hog Timms has sold for more than $750, or there about, until I purchased the previous one for $1000 before taxes. The only reason I paid that much was because of my connection to the wood, as stated in my Timms search thread. The one on eBay just sold for $1250, and I suppose as more people learn about the rarity of these instruments, the prices will continue to rise regardless of color, or grain pattern. I completely agree that if 2 Timms were sold at the same time, the one people believed to be the most attractive would command the higher price. That's why he sells them one at a time.

Top Bottom