Season 548 - Second City Songs

Ever I get to the UK, I'm going to just wander around getting pictures of all the interesting place names you have in your country. These are actual towns and place names within 20 miles or so of Birmingham:

• Weston-under-Lizard: I know what an underdog is, but not an underlizard.
  • Far Forest: Where is it? Far.
  • The Sheet. You have to think your place is pretty important to include the definite article in its name.
  • The Royal Town of Sutton Colfield. Do they nme it this way to increse the property values?
  • Droitwich Spa & Royal Leamington Spa. Do these towns come with happy endings?
  • Wednesbury. Here I thought Wednesday was the only word in English with a Wednes- root.
  • Much Wenlock. When just a little wenlock isn't enough.
  • Hollywood. Bob Seger did a song about the nights there.
  • Kidderminster, Cleobury Mortimer, Outwoods, Rubery, Studley, Butterbank, High Offley, Long Compton, Ashley-de-la-Zouch - all these make me smile in their own ways...

The more I look, the more I find.
Wait till you find out about the Shipping Forecast!

Birmingham eggs
My dad used to make us what he called Birmingham Eggs. He'd use a glass to cut a hole in a piece of bread and drop an egg in the hole and fry it in butter. Many folks have different names for this way of cooking eggs, but Google shows me that I'm not the only one who calls 'em Birmingham Eggs.
View attachment 142612

I never knew there were so many different names for these! I always knew them as One-eyed Jacks. :)

I haven't mastered it yet, so will someone please post a cover of the C&W tearjerker, "Paint Me a Birmingham" as sung by Tracy Lawrence, written by Buck Moore/ Gary Duffy. For the benefit of all our UK / EU / AUS pals, those of us in the American South / Southern Appalachians pronounce the last syllable as "---ming-ham", rather than rhyming with "gingham".
This one has been stuck in my head all week! Brings back memories of when I was a food server at Texas Roadhouse in SC. Country music was playing at all times there so this song came on often. :)

beautiful song that was huge for Tracey Lawrence,
from his Strong LP (2003). written by Buck Moore & Gary Duffy.
Paint Me A Birmingham

Mountain Goat- You did the song proud! And the mando-lele is the perfect accompaniment. I hope everyone in the thread enjoys it as much as I did. Bravo!

Mountain Goat- You did the song proud! And the mando-lele is the perfect accompaniment. I hope everyone in the thread enjoys it as much as I did. Bravo!
excellent! thanks a lot, really pleased you enjoyed it. :) it's actually not a mando-lele, it's an 8 string baritone, but i see what you mean, it has that similar lovely chorus-y sorta sound that you get w/ the double courses of the strings. cheers mate!

Reactions: TCK
Half the beauty of the seasons Is delving Into a song's history and It's origin. I always thought 'Walk Don't Run' was written by the Ventures in 1960, turns out It was written in 1954 by Jazz musician Johnny Smith from Birmingham, Alabama back in 1954. Had to share his superb Jazz original (very Djangoesque).........

Last edited:
excellent! thanks a lot, really pleased you enjoyed it. :) it's actually not a mando-lele, it's an 8 string baritone, but i see what you mean, it has that similar lovely chorus-y sorta sound that you get w/ the double courses of the strings. cheers mate!
Oops! Pardon my nomenclatural gaffe. Such learning opportunities is (seriously) one of the many things I’ve enjoyed about UU. Thanks again for the tune!

The Moody Blues have a rich pallete of music and songs and
some quirkier than others.
I've been listening to them since I was a bout 15. They're dead good!!

Ever I get to the UK, I'm going to just wander around getting pictures of all the interesting place names you have in your country. These are actual towns and place names within 20 miles or so of Birmingham:

• Weston-under-Lizard: I know what an underdog is, but not an underlizard.
  • Far Forest: Where is it? Far.
  • The Sheet. You have to think your place is pretty important to include the definite article in its name.
  • The Royal Town of Sutton Colfield. Do they nme it this way to increse the property values?
  • Droitwich Spa & Royal Leamington Spa. Do these towns come with happy endings?
  • Wednesbury. Here I thought Wednesday was the only word in English with a Wednes- root.
  • Much Wenlock. When just a little wenlock isn't enough.
  • Hollywood. Bob Seger did a song about the nights there.
  • Kidderminster, Cleobury Mortimer, Outwoods, Rubery, Studley, Butterbank, High Offley, Long Compton, Ashley-de-la-Zouch - all these make me smile in their own ways...

The more I look, the more I find.
Don't forget to call in at Pratt's Bottom, Great Snoring, and Twatt.

Thanks for hosting, John! :)

So, here’s a double whammy - a song by Birmingham-born singer songwriter Stephen Duffy, and mention in the lyrics of Birmingham’s New Street train station (Edwin will be pleased! :D ).

It‘s a track from his debut solo album, The Ups And Downs, released in 1985 (have I mentioned how much I love the 80s?), about a love affair that cannot be, due to circumstances. But it would seem that arrangements have been made for a future meeting at a designated time and place (New Street Station, platform 8) if those circumstances change. I guess it’s a story of hope at least temporarily triumphing over expectation. :cry:

Added in some synth bass, pads, oboe and drums, along with some vocal harmonies.

The Move and Blackberry way.Blackberry Way" is often cited as an "answer song" to the Beatles' "Penny Lane." It has similarity with "Penny Lane," only with much darker lyrics and a melancholy mood.

Blackberry Way
Absolutely pouring down with rain
It's a terrible day
Up with a lark
Silly girl I don't know what to say
She was running away
So now I'm standing on the corner
Lost, in the things that I said
What am I supposed to do now-w
Goodbye Blackberry Way
I can't see you
I don't need you
Goodbye Blackberry Way
Sure to want me back another day
Gone to the park
Overgrowing but the trees are bare
There's a memory there
Boats on the lake
Unattended now, they're all to drown
I'm incredibly down
Just like myself they are neglected
Turn, with my eyes to the wall
Goodbye Blackberry Way
I can't see you
I don't need you
Goodbye Blackberry Way
Ooo-black, Ooo-black, ooo-ooo
Ahhh-hhh-hhh
Ooo-black, Ooo-black, ooo-ooo
Ahhh-hhh-hhh
Run for the train
Look behind you for she may be there
Say I think you're the girl
Blackberry Way
See the battlefields of care or sins
Cast to the winds
So full of emptiness without her
Lost in the words that I said
Goodbye Blackberry Way
I can't see you
I don't need you
Goodbye Blackberry Way

Last edited:
Good morning Seasonistas ( sorry about my absence yesterday, but as I said, working all day sadly) from a grey and slightly damp West Yorkshire, my sources tell me it’s a similar story in Brum this morning, but as we’ve had a few weeks of Greek Island type heat here in the U of K we can hardly complain. The playlist is currently up to date and chock full of goodies thanks to your wonderful playing and inspired choices. My plan is to pop one up myself today or tomorrow, but in the meantime keep them coming, there have been some songs I would never have expected, which goes to show just how marvellous the Seasons of the Ukulele still are 👍👍👍

Ok here’s my contribution this week as I’m not sure I’ll get time to do another. So, what has She’s Always A Woman got to do with the glorious metropolis of Birmingham I hear you ask? Well, as far as I’m aware, Billy Joel is not and has never been a Brummie. But, Fyfe Dangerfield of Guillemots, is, as he was born in Moseley in this fair city, and what’s more, he recorded a beautiful cover of the song in 2010. Had I more time I would like to have covered one of Fyfe’s off his brilliant solo album Fly Yellow Moon, maybe She Needs Me or Faster Than The Setting Sun, but those will have to wait though, bubbling away on the stove top in a pot labelled “To Do Another Time”. So here is a song written by a New Yorker, covered by at least two Brummies, Fyfe Dangerfield, and now yours truly. This video features Perry, the Commonwealth Games Official mascot, in a supporting role. Perry is not a prize this week before anyone asks……

Ok here’s my contribution this week as I’m not sure I’ll get time to do another. So, what has She’s Always A Woman got to do with the glorious metropolis of Birmingham I hear you ask? Well, as far as I’m aware, Billy Joel is not and has never been a Brummie. But, Fyfe Dangerfield of Guillemots, is, as he was born in Moseley in this fair city, and what’s more, he recorded a beautiful cover of the song in 2010. Had I more time I would like to have covered one of Fyfe’s off his brilliant solo album Fly Yellow Moon, maybe She Needs Me or Faster Than The Setting Sun, but those will have to wait though, bubbling away on the stove top in a pot labelled “To Do Another Time”. So here is a song written by a New Yorker, covered by at least two Brummies, Fyfe Dangerfield, and now yours truly. This video features Perry, the Commonwealth Games Official mascot, in a supporting role. Perry is not a prize this week before anyone asks……

Delightful. The uke sounds great and your voice pairs very well with it. Only criticism- Wish I could see the uke as you play.

Top Bottom