Season 548 - Second City Songs

Editors recently wormed their back into my rotation so very glad for the opportunity to play this very rough version of their breakout single.

Apologies for the camera angle but it was required.

Hey, John! Thanks for the hostingisms!

I recently made the heartbreaking decision to chuck my beloved Screaming For Vengeance t-shirt in the bin. It had long since become so faded that the picture was no longer discernable and it was only the holes that were holding it together. I wish I'd given it one last run out for this video...

I also remember a few years ago dealing with a customer over the phone.
Her name was Judith Preece and this song was in my head constantly as we spoke.

Anyway, here's a rough approximation of Living After Midnight...

Birmingham eggs
My dad used to make us what he called Birmingham Eggs. He'd use a glass to cut a hole in a piece of bread and drop an egg in the hole and fry it in butter. Many folks have different names for this way of cooking eggs, but Google shows me that I'm not the only one who calls 'em Birmingham Eggs.
Birmingham eggs.jpg

Robert Burns poem done by the Ian Campbell folk group.
The position we have in life is like the stamp ona guinea coin
but it is the chracter of the man that is the real gold.

A Man’s a Man for a’ That
Robert Burns
Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an’ a’ that;
The coward-slave, we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a’ that!
For a’ that, an’ a’ that.
Our toils obscure an’ a’ that,
The rank is but the guinea’s stamp,
The Man’s the gowd for a’ that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an’ a that;
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
A Man’s a Man for a’ that:
For a’ that, and a’ that,
Their tinsel show, an’ a’ that;
The honest man, tho’ e’er sae poor,
Is king o’ men for a’ that.

Ye see yon birkie ca’d a lord,
Wha struts, an’ stares, an’ a’ that,
Tho’ hundreds worship at his word,
He’s but a coof for a’ that.
For a’ that, an’ a’ that,
His ribband, star, an’ a’ that,
The man o’ independent mind,
He looks an’ laughs at a’ that.

A Prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an’ a’ that!
But an honest man’s aboon his might –
Guid faith, he mauna fa’ that!
Their dignities, an’ a’ that,
The pith o’ Sense an’ pride o’ Worth
Are higher rank than a’ that.

Then let us pray that come it may,
As come it will for a’ that,
That Sense and Worth, o’er a’ the earth
Shall bear the gree an’ a’ that.
It’s comin yet for a’ that,
That Man to Man the warld o’er
Shall brithers be for a’ that.

Birmingham eggs
My dad used to make us what he called Birmingham Eggs. He'd use a glass to cut a hole in a piece of bread and drop an egg in the hole and fry it in butter. Many folks have different names for this way of cooking eggs, but Google shows me that I'm not the only one who calls 'em Birmingham Eggs.
View attachment 142612

My lovely wife, whose mother was from Colorado, says they called them Gold Mines out there. They’re tasty and fun, like your great song, Jim.

Steve Winwood and Blind Faith transformed this lovely Buddy Holly number into a jamming classic. Santana did more with it later. Not sure if D is the right key for me, but here we go…

Ever I get to the UK, I'm going to just wander around getting pictures of all the interesting place names you have in your country. These are actual towns and place names within 20 miles or so of Birmingham:

• Weston-under-Lizard: I know what an underdog is, but not an underlizard.
  • Far Forest: Where is it? Far.
  • The Sheet. You have to think your place is pretty important to include the definite article in its name.
  • The Royal Town of Sutton Colfield. Do they nme it this way to increse the property values?
  • Droitwich Spa & Royal Leamington Spa. Do these towns come with happy endings?
  • Wednesbury. Here I thought Wednesday was the only word in English with a Wednes- root.
  • Much Wenlock. When just a little wenlock isn't enough.
  • Hollywood. Bob Seger did a song about the nights there.
  • Kidderminster, Cleobury Mortimer, Outwoods, Rubery, Studley, Butterbank, High Offley, Long Compton, Ashley-de-la-Zouch - all these make me smile in their own ways...

The more I look, the more I find.

Birmingham eggs
View attachment 142612

We call them Egg in a Nest

Re-done In different key .........60's Brum band 'The Fortunes'.........You've Got Your Troubles (I Got Mine) ............

Ever I get to the UK, I'm going to just wander around getting pictures of all the interesting place names you have in your country. These are actual towns and place names within 20 miles or so of Birmingham:

• The Sheet. You have to think your place is pretty important to include the definite article in its name.
  • The Royal Town of Sutton Colfield. Do they nme it this way to increse the property values?
  • Wednesbury. Here I thought Wednesday was the only word in English with a Wednes- root.
  • Kidderminster, Cleobury Mortimer, Outwoods, Rubery, Studley, Butterbank, High Offley, Long Compton, Ashley-de-la-Zouch - all these make me smile in their own ways...

In that case, don’t forget to visit Wetwang in the East Riding of Yorkshire 👍

• The Royal Town of Sutton Colfield. Do they nme it this way to increse the property valPush Through, Indian Burying Place, Tickle Cove, ues?

Joko, you'll have to visit Newfoundland sometime and visit Joe Batt's Arm, Dildo, Blow Me Down, Conception Bay, Come By Chance, Witless Bay, Cow Head, Quidi Vidi, Nick's Nose. . .
Dildo.jpg

Welcome to Season 548 Second City Songs

The past couple of weeks have seen athletes from all over the Globe gather in my old home town of Birmingham, England’s Second City, for the Commonwealth Games, although the games closed a few days ago. So a simple one this week, bring me songs from artists who hail from Birmingham ( this can also be any city or town in the world called Birmingham- even though I only know of my home town and the Alabama one), or songs that mention Birmingham or famous Brummies. Basically any song with a Birmingham connection is fine by me.

Originals are welcome, on any topic so long as it mentions Birmingham, or a person who hails from Brum, in the lyrics or title. Do with that information what you will.

Usual Season rules apply, ukulele main instrument, collabs welcome etc etc and so on. Oh, forgot to say, no song limit.

There might be a prize there might not.

As the late great Bamber Gascoigne might say, your starter for 10…., here’s a list of Brummie artists…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Musical_groups_from_Birmingham,_West_Midlands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Musicians_from_Birmingham,_West_Midlands

And don’t wander away from the Baggage Carousel yet as there’s a day or two left of Brian’s Season 547.
I haven't mastered it yet, so will someone please post a cover of the C&W tearjerker, "Paint Me a Birmingham" as sung by Tracy Lawrence, written by Buck Moore/ Gary Duffy. For the benefit of all our UK / EU / AUS pals, those of us in the American South / Southern Appalachians pronounce the last syllable as "---ming-ham", rather than rhyming with "gingham".

I haven't mastered it yet, so will someone please post a cover of the C&W tearjerker, "Paint Me a Birmingham" as sung by Tracy Lawrence, written by Buck Moore/ Gary Duffy. For the benefit of all our UK / EU / AUS pals, those of us in the American South / Southern Appalachians pronounce the last syllable as "---ming-ham", rather than rhyming with "gingham".
I'm on the case mate!!! Love that song and was fixing to take a swipe at it when i get time later this week! 🤠

Birmingham eggs
View attachment 142612

Love those eggs & toast, Jim! In north Georgia (US), we call it "egg in a basket" and serve it with a side of grits.

Well folks, my day is pretty much at an end, but I have been delighted and enriched by your contributions. The Playlist is up to date as I type this. Now I must apologise, I will be working all day tomorrow ( literally, from 7.30 in the morning until 9.30 at night), so I won’t be around tomorrow to comment. But rest assured I will catch up on Thursday. I am still planning on bringing a song that day or Friday. In the meantime, have fun singing and playing Birmingham songs. I am loving listening to them. Thank you and goodnight for now 😊

Top Bottom