Song Help Request Artificial Intelligence (AI) for songwriting?

Stoneyrun

Reaction score
With new AI tech made accessible through text chat sites like https://chat.openai.com/chat. I asked it to write a song about sacrifice. Here's what it came up with in a few seconds:

Verse 1:
Em D C G
I'll give up my own dreams for you
Em D C G
I'll let go of what I wanted too
Em D C G
I'll be the one to walk away
Em D C G
So you can have your brighter day

Chorus:
C G Am F
I'll do what it takes to make you see
C G Am F
That I'll be there for you, constantly
C G Am F
I'll give you my all, my everything
C G Am F
So you can have your chance to shine

Verse 2:
Em D C G
I'll put your needs before my own
Em D C G
I'll make sure you're never alone
Em D C G
I'll make the hard choices for you
Em D C G
So you can make it through

Chorus:
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F

Bridge:
Em D C G
I'll be the one to take the fall
Em D C G
I'll be the one to make the call
Em D C G
I'll be the one to make it right
Em D C G
So you can see the morning light

Chorus:
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F
C G Am F

Outro:
Em D C G
I'll be the one to make the sacrifice
Em D C G
So you can have a better life.

Note: These chords are for the purpose of giving an idea and you can change them as per your preference or style.

Any thoughts on using AI for music creation?

Last edited:
I also used ChatGPT to make up a song just for fun. I asked it to make one about someone who was sad about losing their kitchen curtains, made in the style of blues. It did quite well. Fun stuff!

There were two related stories I encountered this week:

Today I saw an article predicting that "The Singularity" may be only seven years away:

"The singularity refers to the point in time when the development of robotics and intelligent machines will become uncontrollable. In this scenario, artificial intelligence will be able to surpass the brain power of humans and will be able to evolve on its own. This kind of AI would be able to think of ideas and concepts beyond that of human understanding and will be able to do things that we are not capable of." (This quote not from the article I read)

Earlier this week, a newscast discussed using GPT for writing essays in high school or college (a cheat hack).

"GPT, or “generative pre-trained transformer”, a machine learning model used in natural language processing... GPT scored an average essay score of 80.5, which is only slightly lower than the average human essay score of 82.6."

Songwriting? You are touching upon one aspect of what might be a danger or an opportunity.

I kind of like how the whole song is just a variety of statements and restatements of the definition of sacrifice lol

Ahh... but what are you sacrificing to AI?

Is it akin to selling your soul?
You’re talking to someone who acquired the souls of two people in college, with signed paperwork proving the sale, for the small price of 1 cigarette each.

I’ve since returned the souls. But I always know where to get more.

Here's a test for an AI "agent".

Write a song (or term paper) about "gobbaldygook".

Do NOT misspell that request. (I never SHOUT, but this is critical.) I am curious for a reason ;)

This is an (80's) historical reference to using DECTALK (feel free to G'gl it). I did use that, at the time.

Last edited:
Here's a test for an AI "agent".

Write a song (or term paper) about "gobbaldygook".

Do NOT misspell that request. (I never SHOUT, but this is critical.) I am curious for a reason ;)

This is an (80's) historical reference to using DECTALK (feel free to G'gl it). I did use that, at the time.
I cut and pasted your request into the AI chat thing. It responded with this in a few seconds:
Verse 1:
Gobbaldygook, a language so obscure
It's a jumbled mess, that's for sure
Words that make no sense, just a bunch of sound
It's like trying to understand a foreign language, but it's all around

Chorus:
Gobbaldygook, it's a mystery
It's like trying to solve a puzzle, but it's all history
It's a jargon, it's a mess, it's a load of trash
Gobbaldygook, it's a language that's hard to bash

Verse 2:
It's used by politicians, to hide the truth
It's used by lawyers, to prove their proof
It's used by academics, to sound smart
But it's just a bunch of words, that tear us apart

Chorus:

Bridge:
We need to speak clearly, and make ourselves heard
We need to use language, that can't be blurred
We need to break the code, of gobbaldygook
And make our words, a language that can be understood

Chorus:

Outro:
Let's speak clearly, and make ourselves heard
Let's break the code, of gobbaldygook
And make our words, a language that can be understood.

Could be fun, but isn't it the word version of auto tune? Heck auto tune could make me sound good.
It's a device from Satan lol!
Bingo!

This was in the mid-80s when I was a Field Service Tech and my job was to go onsite and fix someone's "downed" DEC computer. I had to respond to service calls that were delivered to me in a text-to-speech description of the problem. They were incomprehensible.

In frustration, and as a challenge, I forced the system to pronounce correctly this "gobbledeguk" nonsense word. This spelling I used "gobbaldygook" worked then and the system's pronunciation was perfect.

Apparently, it still does!

(For the tinkerer, try " "gobbledeguk" ... I tried that almost 40 years ago and it returned was, well, gibberish. :)

Last edited:
Commercial question.

I have watched YouTube videos which discuss monetizing. The YouTuber has made a popular music video which has had a lot of views, but as soon as it becomes profitable, the copyright holder appraoches YouTube and asserts his or her or its rights and the person who created the video recieves zero, all the money goes to the copyright holder who did do the work to create the material ( a few years ago now), but has not done the hard work of creating good content which promotes the work.

So who owns the copyright for AI tunes?

It is a lot of fun for music civilians to play the AI game, but does it help commercial writers if they get a great tune, but have no commercial rights to the material? Also, what happens to the material after you read it, have a giggle and move on? Do the owners of the AI filter the results to find the best tunes and soon we will see them performed by a big artist, noting that there has to be a statistic like a good tune for every 10,000 generated as an example. Is the AI game owner virtually using 10,000 punters to mine for the gold, and will the mining operation help your favourite music creatives who make their income by writing the music?

Also, check out this story on Australia's ABCNews, it is about visual art, but what if the piece you are giggling at has effectively been stolen from a performing artist without their knowledge? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01...icial-intelligence-image-generators/101786174

The AI game seems harmless enough, and it is some fun to play. Here is an activity you can try. Write you own poem or lyric and then see how the AI version compares? Start with your favourite chord progression that you can play well, and then write out some rhyming sentences and sing them over the progression. Then see what the AI comes up with. You are creative, you can write your own tunes. They may not generate a million views or a lot of money, but they are your creative work.

The AI game is very innovative and a lot of fun, I don't see why you would not play it, especially if it helps you open up your own mind to the fact that you really are a music creative and you can write creative songs yourself.
If I understand it correctly, AI is constantly learning and improving itself. So, hit songs may soon be AI assisted or created. Future pop stars might be pixels instead human. It's both fascinating and scary to me.

If I understand it correctly, AI is constantly learning and improving itself. So, hit songs may soon be AI assisted or created. Future pop stars might be pixels instead human. It's both fascinating and scary to me.
I'll cry if they start trying to dub voices like Callas, Ronstadt, and other actual singers. Linda's voice still really moves me.

So who owns the copyright for AI tunes?
In the US, current case law suggests nobody. The copyright office ruled that AI Art lacks the human authorship necessary to be copyrightable. AI Music would likely be the same. The flip side is that there's a lot more money aimed at maintaining the music status quo than at art, and laws can change

Charles Cornell ran a similar experiment asking ChatGPT to compose a Jazz tune. His analysis (and enthusiasm) is worth a watch. The thumbnail gives his rating on the experiment: Disaster!

Adam Neely gave his predictions on AI's effect on the music industry

Interesting.....I've written a few songs in my time.....I have a couple that are unfinished......

Could one type in the parts of the song that they do have and have the AI assist in finishing the song???

Could be fun, but isn't it the word version of auto tune? Heck auto tune could make me sound good.
It's a device from Satan lol!
The reality of autotune hit me when I saw Emma Watson in the remake of Beauty and the Beast. Any actor can now be a lead singer in a musical. I'm not putting it down since it is used by every artist now and I personally use it in recordings but you really can't tell who has musical game nowadays. Autotune saves time. One take and you can fix it. Now, you too can be a lyricist and write amazing poetry at the comfort of your keyboard. It makes me wonder now how often major artists are using AI for lyric writing to save time.

Interesting.....I've written a few songs in my time.....I have a couple that are unfinished......

Could one type in the parts of the song that they do have and have the AI assist in finishing the song???
Yeah, I don't see why not. I'd just tell it to finish this song and cut and paste it in the text box and see if it works.

instead of programming the computer to make sappy mediocre music, it might be interesting to program one to make good music. There is plenty of crappy music being made, why add to it?

Top Bottom