Two Tenors

Tomthebaptist

Reaction score
If you had two tenors, a Kamaka HF-3 and a Koaloha KTM Tenor, what strings would you use on each to optimize sound and intonation for each?
Tom

I switched my KTM-25 to Uke Logic pink soft tension with flat wound low g. My wife and I both thought the sound improved over the factory strings.

I also had high g clear Uke Logics on my HF-3 (before I sold it here) and I preferred them to Kamaka's strings. Very clear notes that brought a lot out of the uke.

Intonation is either right or not and that's the luthier's responsibility. No string can fix that. And optimization is in your fingers. So I would flip a coin and make one of the tenors linear and one re-entrant. Then I'd pick a low-G and a high-G set in fluorocarbon. I'd pick Worth and Fremont because I like dark strings. But there are some new dark strings on the market like Orca. I would try them. I wouldn't go into analysis paralysis. I'd just string them up and start playing.

Don't know about KoAloha tenors but my Kamaka HF-3 seems to like Worth clear low G strings. Intonation and tone was good with the stock strings but I like how the Worth clears sound and feel.

Don't know about Kamaka but I like KoAloha's (UkeSA) Flouro Carbon strings on my KoAloha's and Pop's ukes. I think the sound is just like what the ukes ship with.

+1. I highly recommend UkeSA strings for your KoAloha. I have their Low G set on my concert KoAloha. They are comfortable under the fingers, have a great tone and a nicely balanced sound.

Strings are difficult to recommend because what works for me may not work for you.

I'm a big fan of Living Waters strings. I really like the softer, more rounded, chimey, bell-like sound they produce. I quite like the LW plain Low-G set on my Ko'Aloha KTM-00 tenor. The strings tone down the already big voice of the KTM-00 a touch. But I do not like LWs on my Kamaka HF-3. They almost sound muted to me. I put on a set of Pepe Romero wound Low-G strings, "Powered by La Bella", and the Kamaka came alive. They seem to pull the notes out and expand the sound. I'm not sure they are the optimum strings, but they are pretty good. I may try a set of Savarez wound Low-G strings next on the Kamaka.

If you play fingerstyle, and crisp, very defined, focused notes are most important, then High-Tension fluorocarbons may be for you. If your fingers can take them. Lower tension may be better if you are more of a strummer.

What kind of music do you play most often? Country, folk, bluegrass, pop, Hawaiian, classical, blues, jazz? That may be a factor in the sound you prefer. And the strings you will gravitate towards.

Are you looking to warm the instrument's voice, and make it sweeter? Or, make it darker? Or do you want a brighter more in-your-face sound with bigger projection?

Intonation shouldn't be affected unless the Low-G doesn't fit the nut slot.

Before working with Pops at Ukesahawaii.com, I tried many different stings on my tenors. On my Kamaka, I have worth high tension clears and they sound great. On all of my KoAloha, I have the Ukesa strings. They are soft on the fingers and these are the strings that my KoAloha's shipped with. Pops says, these "fluorocarbon strings are uniquely processed and are durable, strong and flexible without acoustic or harmonic distortion. The proprietary double layered strings create a sound that combines the naturalness of “gut” strings and brilliance of steel strings."

I've had (and probably will have again) a Koaloha KTM and currently have a couple Kamaka HF-3s. I've tried several string sets on both models. In the end, the KTM sounds best and most distinctive to me with the stock / UkeSA strings in low G. The Kamaka sounds best to me with warmer spec fluorocarbons (i.e. Worth Brown and Savarez fluorocarbon) in high G. I've tried several other configurations including Living Waters Low G on the KTM and Worth clear mediums low/high G on the Kamaka, but eventually came back to my favorites, which will remain my preferred strings for those models. IMHO of course...

Before working with Pops at Ukesahawaii.com, I tried many different stings on my tenors. On my Kamaka, I have worth high tension clears and they sound great. On all of my KoAloha, I have the Ukesa strings. They are soft on the fingers and these are the strings that my KoAloha's shipped with. Pops says, these "fluorocarbon strings are uniquely processed and are durable, strong and flexible without acoustic or harmonic distortion. The proprietary double layered strings create a sound that combines the naturalness of “gut” strings and brilliance of steel strings."
I appreciate everyone’s input. The reason I asked for suggestions, I recently acquired from a fellow forum member a Koaloha KTM - 10 Mango. It came strung with TM Low G Worth Clear Fluorocarbon trebles. I replaced those with D’AdDario Low Ge Fluorocarbons and find them very satisfying. The Kamaka HF-3 which I‘ve had since Jan of 2020, after experimented with various types and brands, I’ve settled on D’Addario Fluorocarbons Hi G. So, I plan to keep D’Adaddario on the Kamaka.

My next step is to order a set of Low G factory strings from Ed for the Koaloha .

Again, thanks to all of you for chiming in. I find that one of the great joys of retirement is meeting so many wonderful people like you on the UU Forum.

Tom
(Formerly, Tomthebaptist)

Man! I have so many strings to try and so little time. Actually... i have an abundance of time, but I'm just impatient.

How long do you typically try strings out before either realizing it's not the exact sound you're looking for or you're ready for the next set?

Last edited:
for me it is rather immediate. When I got my Kamaka, I got some scissors and cut those D'Addario off in about 2 or 3 days. Same thing when I tried a lot of classical guitar strings on the baritone. Gave each a day or two and then snipped them off. Same thing with some expensive Guadalupe strings on my tenor. Those only lasted about a day until I cut off that damned wound G string. Then I found the strings I like and I keep them on for about a year and only change them because of ennui and a sense of changing them just for something to do.

Man! I have so many strings to try and so little time. Actually... i have an abundance of time, but I'm just impatient.

How long do you typically try strings out before either realizing it's not the exact sound you're looking for or you're ready for the nexr set?
I am more like ripock. If I don't like them, I give them until they settle in to make the final decisions-- a day or two, and if I don't like them, they are off. The reason is that if I don't like them, whether it be the sound or the feel, then I won't play that ukulele and I want to play. If I like them, however, I will keep that set on as long as possible. I have a vintage Martin tenor and tried just about every set of strings on it and I was not satisfied. Then a fellow member from UU suggested a custom set of classical guitar strings, each purchased individually from Strings by Mail, and I'll tell ya, that is the smoothest, cleanest, greatest sound of any of my tenors. I have had these on the Martin so long that I actually forget which strings they were, and will have to back to an old post to find them.

How long do you typically try strings out before either realizing it's not the exact sound you're looking for or you're ready for the nexr set?
Typically, I will keep them on about a week or two before I decide if I like them or not. This gives the string time enough to stretch and settle in.

@ripock @efiscella , i appreciate your feedback and it came at a perfect time. I changed my strings a couple days ago to some high tension fluorocarbons and i knew pretty quickly it wasn't what i was searching for. I did give em a few days to see if they would settle and grow on me, but it actually felt wrong to my ear and spirit, causing me to pick up my other ukes (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

In the past, i might've kept em on for longer, since I did pay for them and take the time and effort to switch em, but what's the point if it's not bringing me joy.

I decided to switch to low tension, starting with the A and C and that was enough to make a huge difference to bring that sparkle back to the uke and my soul!

I ended up leaving the high tension E on, as I feel it's a good transition between the heavier C and low G.

I'm still inclined to try out other sets soon, but now I know more what to look for and what to avoid with this particular uke.

@ripock @efiscella , i appreciate your feedback and it came at a perfect time. I changed my strings a couple days ago to some high tension fluorocarbons and i knew pretty quickly it wasn't what i was searching for. I did give em a few days to see if they would settle and grow on me, but it actually felt wrong to my ear and spirit, causing me to pick up my other ukes (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

In the past, i might've kept em on for longer, since I did pay for them and take the time and effort to switch em, but what's the point if it's not bringing me joy.

I decided to switch to low tension, starting with the A and C and that was enough to make a huge difference to bring that sparkle back to the uke and my soul!

I ended up leaving the high tension E on, as I feel it's a good transition between the heavier C and low G.

I'm still inclined to try out other sets soon, but now I know more what to look for and what to avoid with this particular uke.
Thanks, Hands On, I’ll have to try that. I don’t like high tension strings either, but neither do I like flimsy strings. Your solution makes sense. I’ll give it a try the next time I change strings out.

Tom

Last edited:
Or you could just down-tune. What I usually do is tighten the A string until it is a tension I like and then I make the other strings match it. Currently I am enjoying the tuning E A C# F#. Of course that means that you cannot play with other people because all your notes will be 3 half steps lower than theirs.

I am more like ripock. If I don't like them, I give them until they settle in to make the final decisions-- a day or two, and if I don't like them, they are off. The reason is that if I don't like them, whether it be the sound or the feel, then I won't play that ukulele and I want to play. If I like them, however, I will keep that set on as long as possible. I have a vintage Martin tenor and tried just about every set of strings on it and I was not satisfied. Then a fellow member from UU suggested a custom set of classical guitar strings, each purchased individually from Strings by Mail, and I'll tell ya, that is the smoothest, cleanest, greatest sound of any of my tenors. I have had these on the Martin so long that I actually forget which strings they were, and will have to back to an old post to find them.
When you do go digging through those old posts or SbM receipts to find out which strings they were, can you post on here...? I'm curious!

Top Bottom